Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is This What "just Watch? " Like?

Rikarin

The coolest things happen when, for whatever reason, we stop trying and just watch.

be

As you know, I just followed the sights go up and down and since then I am pretty obsessed about it. Of course it hasn't happen again, go figure.

Ok, I was watching Batman Begins tonight :) oh my god that was good!! :) which is full of fast paced action scenes. When things started flying, I tried to (as always) follow the action movements attentively to see what's going on to no avail.

But tonight, at one point, for some reason, instead of trying to scrutinize each movement (punches, falls, katanas...) I kinda relaxed my eyes and put entire screen into my vision and then luck of better words, just watched and I was able to comprehend whats going on so much better. As matter of fact, in this way, I can "pause" the frame when I wanted to see the details of fast moving objects. It was weired!

Is it something like what you kick-ass guys see on the match? If so that'd totally make sense. Although, I don't have even slightest idea how the heck you can watch what you do in active mode in this way. Because wathchig movie is non-action, you are very passive to what's going on, while shooting is all about first-person willed active moves. Besides, how you can "just watch" while looking at the top edge of frontsight with death grip with your eyes?

Then, I can not do anything at match, even what I can do at practice due to beep-blankout response. But that's totally another story. :(

The difference may be simply observing, or perhaps being aware, as opposed to trying to see.

BTW, while it's great to see the sight end up back where it started as the shot broke, you probably don't want to follow it out and back all the way. Your vision, I think, should be on where the next shot should go, and you want to see the FS there, not up and over the last target you shot.

BTW, while it's great to see the sight end up back where it started as the shot broke, you probably don't want to follow it out and back all the way. Your vision, I think, should be on where the next shot should go, and you want to see the FS there, not up and over the last target you shot.

I have been "trying" or better word would be being "aware" of the front sight leaving the rear notch.

But I can't seem to catch the FS in it's FULL arc. Just leaving and returning at least in match's all I remember is the leaving and returning.

Is this what most people see? Not the FULL arc? I have tried to focus on the full arc in practice and if I see the full arc my eyes have to refocus down range on the target, this refocus slows down the next shot by quite a bit.

If kevin c is correct I might be heading in the right direction.

If I remember BE's comments correctly, seeing the whole arc of FS movement is an indication of how aware/observant you are at that moment, but the point is not that you are trying to do it, nor is it of itself important to the shooting. I think it's like seeing the slide cycle, or seeing the brass fly, or actually seeing the bullet go down range (all of which I've experienced, but only intermittently). It just happens as your awareness develops. Where your awareness should be actually could be something very different.

The bottom line is to shoot A's fast, right? Not to see the slide cyle or the FS loop up and back.

Just my thoughts...