Target Size

cottyw

At the ITRC, SPSC-West, and the TacPro match, there were the following targets:

At 100: 1/4, 1/2", 1" dots.

At 200: approx 2" targets.

10" flash targets from 300 - 500.

10" flash targets from 700-1000.

Larue steel (28x18?) to 800.

Besides the really small dots at 100 (often in a K-Y-L stage), they are usually no smaller than 1 MOA.

Thanks Zak,

Does most of the field make all their shots (first round from 800-1000) or do they require the assistance of a spotter?

10” @ 1000: now I see the necessity of .260 Remington.

What is: K-Y-L stage

Will

At the ITRC Dave Lauck uses a lot of 8" plates, any shots past about 750 or so are typically at full size pepper poppers, but we didn't have any of those at last year's match. The Larue auto reset targets are in the 11x16" range, if I'm not mistaken. Don't know about the Larue chain-clang or whatever the newer target is called.

KYL is Know Your Limits...typically a stage with targets of progressively smaller size. If you hit the smaller targets you get more points, but if you miss any target (even if it is only 1/4 inch), you lose all the points for the stage.

Kind of like the bonus targets at the ITRC, they're 250 points if you hit them with the first round, but down 250 if you miss. You've got to take into consideration how you're shooting, the conditions, etc before you commit to the shot. I love momentous decisions.

Does most of the field make all their shots (first round from 800-1000) or do they require the assistance of a spotter?

Ha!!

At TacPro, we had up to two shots per each target at 800, 900, and 1000 to make one hit. Almost 2/3 of the shooters had no hits at all out of those 6 shots, myself included.

In individual competition, it's up to you to spot misses; sometimes the RO will help out if he sees them. In team matches, your partner generally spots for you. if misses are spottable at all, I've never had a problem spotting for myself.

-z

At TacPro, we had up to two shots per each target at 800, 900, and 1000 to make one hit. Almost 2/3 of the shooters had no hits at all out of those 6 shots, myself included.

Well, I was part of that group B)

That chain banger Larues (or Larue type targets) at Rifles only are 11.75x22... although last time out they had a number of 1/2 IPSC sized targets at the closer ranges, as well as a 10" plate on the mover which was shot at 500 yards at night.

Good shootin at TPSC Zak -- sorry I didnt get a chance to meet you -- was in group 2.