Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My First Experience With A Chrono...

Howdie Everyone, Again,

I went to the range yesterday to shoot an IDPA match. I packed along my brand new CED Millenium chronograph to check how my handloads were doing. In all, it was a very hot, humid, and long day.

Here are the numbers I got. Please tell me what you think.

Each load was "tested" using just one 10 shot string.

For 9mm:

Winchester White Box factory ammo,

Bullet = 115 gr FMJ

Average Velocity = 1192 fps

Average Power Factor = 137.1

125gr LRN from Williams Sales, all Winchester headstamped brass, OAL = 1.12+

5.5 grns of VV N 330

Aver. Vel = 1210 fps

Extreme Spread = 30

Standard Deviation = 9

Average Power Factor = 151.3

147 gr L Truncated Cone also from Williams Sales, all Win headstamped brass with an OAL = 1.148, 4.7 grs of VV N 330

AV= 1082 fps

ES = 34

SD = 11

Av. PF = 125

All 9mm loads fired from a Taurus PT 99 with a 5" barrel. Can't remember what I was crimping these down to.

For .45 ACP,

Winchester White Box Bullet = 230 gr FMJ

AV = 844 fps

ES = 26

SD = 7

Av. PF = 194.1

200gr LSWC from ???, all Federal stamped brass, with an OAL of 1.25+, 4.9 gr of Win 231

AV = 766

ES = 45

SD = 13

PF = 153.2

No idea where I set the crimp at here. Using a Lee Factory Crimp Die for all.

All of the 9mm and .45 handloads used Winchester primers.

So I am wondering do my numbers here sound about right?

Other than adding a little powder to the 147gr 9mm and the 200 gr .45 loads to make power factor (125 and 165 for IDPA) any other recommendations?

Thanks, in advance,

Chills

P.S. I did get more of my brass back now that I stripe the case sides.

No idea where I set the crimp at here.  Using a Lee Factory Crimp Die for all.

If you are reloading, you have to know what your crimp is.

The Lee Factory Crimp Die isn't automatic...by any means. In fact, it does two functions, and they both need to be properly set.

Got your directions handy for it?

Hey Flexmoney,

What I should have said was that I couldn't recall where I had set my crimp dimensions to and/or I didn't write them down.

I did check them with calipers, and then I dropped each round into a case gauge and dropped them back out of the gauge without any sticking or protruding above the top of the gauge.

Thanks for your reply, so soon.

Chills

Chills1994: Your numbers are WAY off for the 147 grn load's Power Factor. You wrote that its 125 PF but: 147grns x 1082fps / 1000 = 159.05 Power factor.

Your post states:

"147 gr L Truncated Cone also from Williams Sales, all Win headstamped brass with an OAL = 1.148, 4.7 grs of VV N 330

AV= 1082 fps

ES = 34

SD = 11

Av. PF = 125"

So, you want to add LESS powder to the 147 grn load instead of "Other than adding a little powder to the 147gr 9mm "

As for a 147 grn lead & N330 (at a PF closer to 127-130) that sounds liek a pretty good load to me. I like the fact that you used an AOL of 1.148" - long is good when it comes to 9mm in order to keep the pressures low & for good feeding. As long as the lead alloy in the bullets is relatively hard & you do not mind the smoke, such a load should work well for you with minimal leading problems.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

Hey Carlos,

Thanks for catching my mistake.

There was some sort of hiccup with the chrono when I ran that string through.

The screen came up a flashing "error" on it. So I thought I had cleared that and started a new string.

Luckily, I just happened to have saved all the data and reviewed again. Sure enough it ran it has one, 20 shot string.

Oops! I'll have to try that load again through the chrono the next time I'm at the range.

So dismissing my data for the 147 gr, how do my numbers look for the other loads in terms of standard deviation and extreme spread?

From a handloading techniques standpoint, is there anything I should be doing to get a lower SD/ES?

Thanks again for all of your advice.

What a great site!

Chills

• 2 weeks later...
Drive by courtesy post:  Thanks for all of your input.

I, too, was happily surprised that I didn't accidentally shoot up my chrono the first time out.

Chills

I shot mine the 3rd time - after the tension and focus of it being new wore off!

Since then, I tape a target over the front and shoot it - I forget there's a chrono behind it and therefore don't psych myself into shooting the chrono.

Good thing about the CED is that the screens are not too expensive to replace if you just shoot the supports. Miss left or right, not high or low :wacko: