Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Base Mount? Need Info.

Can anybody please give me information on the base mount used by Officer Michael Judd Whitfield on his AR pictured on the front cover of the May/June 2005 issue of Front Sight. I am planning to mount a Simmons Pro Diamond 1.5-5x20mm using a pair of Leupold Mark 4 1" rings. I think it will sit too low and probably won't even work with a flat-top upper without using some kind of a riser. Thanks in advance.

If I remember it correctly, he had a GG&G Scout Rail. I recognized it because that is what I have. The Scout Rail lets you put the scope far enough forward for it to work in just about any position you can work out of. Add in my stock crawling tendencies, and it just plain works.

He had a set of high see-through rings on top of that and then what looked like a low power Leupold. I really do not understand the high see-through rings with that scope. A solid cheek weld, like he used in the cover shot puts him looking through the base - perhaps on a really close target. The drawback is that he then has to lift his head to use the glass... If the scope he had is the one that I think it is, it has a terrific wide field of view and at a low power setting can be used for everything, even arm's length shots. Perhaps Judd Whitfield will join in and tell us how he used this set up, how well it worked, and what, if anything, he would change about it.

I use mid hieght rings and the Pro Diamond, and for me, it is fantastic. Shoulder the rifle and it shoots where I am looking, all of the way out to 200 yards. If we had much out beyond 100 yards in matches around here, I could see spending the money on a Leupold that is parralax free at 200 yards and with 1/4 minutes clicks. We don't, so the Pro Diamond is great.

Billski

Here's another option you may want to consider. We developed these for the Accupoints but they work as well for other scopes where you want the mounting forward of the flattop rail. This pic is of a prototype. We have two lengths now, this one and another that is three slots shorter in the front. Rings and rail are alloy. Total weight is 7.5 ounces.

post-3686-1119358161_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Craig, not sure if your question was for me, but if so...

The riser adds .46". Best ring heights are in the .823 - .885" range, measuring from the top of the riser to the centerline of the ring. Be careful ordering rings based on their designation as "low-med-high-etc." THere is no industry standard for this and you can end up with a sack of rings that are the wrond height for your application.

The combination we prefer yields a height approximately 1.3" over the reciever flattop. This is slightly lower than typical for a scoped AR, but the TR21 sits so much farther forward, it just works better if it's 0.100" or so lower than "normal". 3-gun is a different animal than scope mounting on a fighting gun. There you often have to allow for variations in clothing, web gear, trauma plates, gas gear, etc. A little extra height tends to make things work in a wider variety of situations. The jack-of-all-trades approach. For 3-gun, guys tend to dial into a gun and really focus on getting that muscle memory confirmed so the sights come to them, not vice-versa.

Hope this helps...