Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Pistol Ruling...

cautery

I searched and did not find a definitive answr to the following... and I have been given conflicting answers on this too....

1) G35... You have a grip reduction done, and as part of it, a thumb rest is molded on... I have been told that this is legal, but MY reading of the Appendix for US Limited says it specifically isn't " External mods... not limited to thumb rests and extended slide stops"

2) Related... I have small hands (short thumbs). The G35 comes stock with an extended slide release, but it is too short for me to reach with my SH thumb without changing grip. Would it be legal to modify the stock extended slide stop and or replace it with one having a longer lever that could be operated with the SH thumb without changing grip?

I'm about to send my frame off for grip mods, and I don't want to even consider anything that'll cause probs...

Thanks,

Clay

I don't think you'd have a problem with the extended mag release button in Limited, even if it's aftermarket and larger than the available Glock part. The molded in/on thumb rest might be the show stopper. An extended safety, which most people use as a thumb rest, is legal on a 1911 style pistol, but since the Glock doesn't come with one of those, it would probably be ruled illegal under the rule you describe. I'm not the final authority on this: John Amidon would be the guy to talk to. But I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D

Troy

OK... thumb rest is out then... I really would need to BE THERE to get it in the right position anyway...

Just gotta get something definitve on the slide release before i invest a bunch of time to design one...

I think the principle would be: Can the slide release be used as a thumb rest, thus offering a shooter an "unfair" advantage in controlling recoil. i would think if it was clear by the design that the intent is ONLY to use it as a slide release, that it would be allowed...

Yes, the molded on thumb rest would be illegal. But, the definition of a limited pistol has changed so many times thru-out the years. When we look at pistols featuring "sight tracker" technology, what we are really seeing is a pistol with a hybridcomp barrel minus the ports, thus adding several oz. of weight to further reduce recoil. Why not allow the added thumbrest on a pistol that doesn't have one to help control recoil since other methods of additional recoil reduction are allowed such as extended dust covers, tungsten guid rods, bull barrels, sight tracker setups, etc.?

This question relates to the power factor issue. Since limited pistols can easily be built or modified to allow shooting of major loads to reflect the recoil of a 9mm or less, have a minimum power factor floor (125) and eliminate the need for all of the expensive add-ons? Let the focus be on shooting, not mechanics.