Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redneck "speedloaders"

Guninhand

From rimfirecentral.com I got the idea of "speedloaders" for a Remington Nylon 66, tubes pre-charged with ammo where when shooting you just dump it directly into the gun's magazine. They worked great, esp. for at the range or shooting in cold weather. Load them up at home, 40 or 50 tubes X 14 rds each.

So I thought why not do the same with revolver. I got some PVC water piping with an inner diameter just over that if a .38 case, cut them so they could hold 12 rds of .357 (using them for .38 and 357), put a short screw across the bottom and the body of a .308 case plugs the top. Load them up at home, 30 or 40 tubes.

When at the range, just unplug and dump the first 6 in, sweep it around to the charge holes or hold the tube steady and rotate the cylinder with your thumb, as the rounds drop in under gravity. Tip the tube back up and lay it down while you shoot the first six. I keep a shotgun shell holder clipped to the front of my belt to dump the empties into.

With hanging steel targets you can just blaze away without the annoying one-at-a-time type reloading, The gun can get pretty hot, plus with some ammo types in the tubes, the bullet nose can be touching the primer of the next one, so no rough handling.