Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Things Not To Do

Austin Bradley

Well there I was at the Kentucky State Match this May of 2005. I was RO'ing the match so I was shooting-through. After I got done shooting I was planning on RO'ing the rest of the match.

Well starting out on Stage 1, I do it decently well not too fast but clean. Stage 2, I have a smoking time for C Class shooters but one mike(darn!). Stage 3 - Stage 5 I all shoot decently.

Getting up to Stage 6 I take my good ole time gaming it out until I get a plan I'm satisfied with. With a tad bit of mental preperation and going over my plan in my mind several times I get up to the line. The RO tells me to load and make ready. I draw my gun, dryfire at my first target, and holster. Anyways... blah...blah. I assume the starting position and he goes through the other commands.

"Standby....beep....(.77 seconds later)....BANG!" I am shocked as I look down to see a hole in the ground four feet in front of my foot. I begin to unload my gun before the RO even yells STOP. I knew what I had done and knew I was done for the day. (Point....Dont put that darn finger in the trigger guard before you're ready to shoot!!!)

Anyways.... After taking my first DQ (hopefully my last) and putting all my stuff up I pout for a while being pissed at myself for making such a stupid mistake. I call up Jerry "The" Dillard (RangeMaster) to see where he wants me to RO for the rest of the day and he sticks me on Stage 6, the same stage I DQ'ed on so I can look at the hole I put in the ground everytime I went downrange to set the activators (Joy...). For the rest of the story.... After a while to get over being pissed at myself I draw my tombstone on the ground beside my AD hole and add some humor to the day.

If some of you dumber people *cough*Dan*cough* didnt get the point dont stick that finger in there until you're ready to shoot and better yet dont take the safety off either. B)

Austin

Austin,

Don't take it too hard. I thought you handled the DQ gracefully. We did speculate on "Daddy's" comments (and yes, we were laughing about that).

Don't pick on Dan, he's working hard on that custom Bradley/Bedell revolver :D

Dave