Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock with carver custom 3 port comp.

tannerlc

My 10 year old son shoots uspsa with a glock 34 had a zev barrelin open minor. I took it off put a kkm and a carver custom 3 port comp. with scj frame weight w/thumb rest to help with follow up shots.Whats the best gr ammo to shoot with the carver comp. we just got it changed over so havent shot it yet. he was shooting 147gr. with the zev barrel but i can get 124 and 115 what will get the most out of the comp.?

Edited by tannerlc

You want to go to lighter bullets to work the comp.  Which one depends on what powder you use.  The idea is to generate enough gas to work all chambers of the comp with virtually no gas exiting the front of the comp.  That will give you the softest shooting load.  Since you will be loading Minor, you also want to keep the pressure up so the gun shoots flatter.

You comp is actually a 3-chamber comp with 7 ports.  You can exhaust a lot of gas through that.  The powders I'd start with are HS-6 and Autocomp/Silhouette.   The last two are virtually interchangeable with the Silhouette burning cleaner.  A 115gr using A/C will be near max pressure for a 130PF load.  HS-6 loaded to the same PF will be softer, louder and dirtier.  Same for the 124gr.  It will ultimately come down to which feels better.

When I was developing loades for a comp'd 45 (long time ago), I discovered that the conventional wisdom on Minor loads was wrong.  You do not always need lots of slow powder to "work" the comp.

I was recently developing loads for a comp'd 40sw gun.  I love shooting this pistol and wanted a Steel Challenge round for it..  I first tried the three powders I listed above, because they are what I use for my Open Major loads.  They produced too much recoil and too much muzzle rise.  This pistol wears a comp very similar to yours.  I decided to try e3 powder (fast).  I use that for my 40 Limited Major loads.  I discovered that 3.5gr under a 155gr bullet produce no muzzle rise at all, and recoil was so soft you thought you were shooting a 22.

You may find that smaller amounts of a faster burning powder works better for you.  There is no rule that says you have to work all the ports in your comp.

i shoot minor with a glock 34 open, 124gr xtreme rn(platted projectile)  oal 1.145, 5.4gr of power pistol  chrono is pf144.  shoots fantastic for steel,ipsc or uspsa basically the same setup, sjc mount with c-more, and carver comp. DAA holster. fun rig to shoot.  hope you son has fun , safe shooting!!!

You might look at SJC's 5-port comp. I shot both major and minor with it using WSF. Don't remember the minor load, but I'm using 7.2 and 124gr MG and it works the comp just fine. The arrow is good; if I could just get the Indian to do his part...