Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eye Relief??

Southpaw

Ok, stupid question time.  Bear with me as I've never used a scope before; all my other rifles have red dots and/or iron sights. 

So I recently got a Strike Eagle and today got around to mounting it.  I'm trying to figure out proper eye relief.  I've got the SPR mount all the way at the front of the receiver and the scope as far forward as it'll go on the mount (picture below) and it still seems like I want it even further forward for proper eye relief.  I normally shoot with the stock partially collapsed, like in the picture below, with my nose to the charging handle, but even with the mount and scope all the way forward it seems like there's no way I can shoot like this.  I have to fully extend the stock forcing my head further away from the receiver to get decent eye relief.

Is this normal?  Even with the stock fully extended and everything as far forward as it'll go I'm still not sure if I have this thing set up properly.  I haven't tightened anything down yet in case I'm doing something wrong (I don't think I mounted it backwards :P). 

I guess I'm wondering if there's any tips for figuring out the right setup for best eye relief?  I tried seeing what eye relief looks like in different positions - standing at 1x, prone at 6x, etc.  Although at 6x it doesn't really work well indoors at close range.

Thanks

ghLIg6K.jpg

Edited by Southpaw

Typical with scope. Although the 1-6s blur the line, scope eye relief is generally based on rifle length stocks. The eye reliefs is much more generous at 1x so you can probably get a little closer but NICH with a scope is a good way to get scope eye.

Easy fix is to extend the stock and take your nose off the charging handle.  Putting your nose on the charging handle is a good way to make sure you have a consistent check weld while shooting iron sights.  When shooting through the scope its important to get a clear picture (no shadow).  Another bonus of bringing the stock out is you will most likely be more stable shooting off hand.

Otherwise, looks like you have everything mounted correctly.

On 1/2/2017 at 1:21 AM, peterthefish said:

Typical with scope. Although the 1-6s blur the line, scope eye relief is generally based on rifle length stocks. The eye reliefs is much more generous at 1x so you can probably get a little closer but NICH with a scope is a good way to get scope eye.

Your 223 must recoil a lot harder than mine.