Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine Function?

Wim

When my Para P16 chambers a round, the one below is dragged into the feedramp. It's not the top round catching the one below; I can duplicate it by retracting the slide so that it just doesn't strip a cartridge and then letting it go forward. It seems that the friction from the underside of the slide (the firing pin housing area I suppose) drags the round below forward.

The nose of the bullet smashes into the feedramp (ramped aftermarket barrel) and causes hangups from time to time as the deformed nose of the bullet hooks onto the bottom outside edges of the ramp. (A narrower round nose design will probably be less problematic, but won't avert the problem). The dings on the bullet noses make it very clear where the bullet is hitting and the height - so it's clear that it's not in feeding (i.e. the cartridge is still sitting too low when this happens).

The mags are standard Para. The guy who built the gun before me was running 38 super or 9mm mags (don't recall) which probably avoided this problem as the cartridge sits lower in the narrower mag, but I had problems with the top rounds often not stripping from the mag (I sold them to buy the new mags, so I can't test them out to see if the same problem exists).

I know this is getting long.... so, in closing, I'm surprised that this doesn't happen more often now that I've discovered the problem. So I'm hoping that someone has encountered and sorted this out beofre. Maybe tuning the mags will help?

Any ideas welcome and thanks for ANY input (short of sell the Para and buy a * instead).

Wim

You likely have a sharp edge where the breech face transitions to the rail. If so, you will want to break the edge on that corner. It shouldn't take much at all. Don't over do it.

We might have a thread or two around here on that problem.

Thanks for the input.

Not to sound totally idiotic, you are referring to the bottom edge of the breech face? i.e. where it would ride on the case in the mag below. I'll look at that and it's certainly worth a try.

What makes me wonder though is that the breech face has contacted the first round and stripped it from the mag and it's likely the area behind the breech face that is causing the problem.

Thanks for the input, will give it a try.

Wim