Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDP Extended Magazine Release for 226

Crispin1025

Folks,

Once again a quick part review. The IDP Magazine Release is one of only a handful of aftermarket parts available for the P-Series pistols. As always, Mods-if this needs to be in a different forum, please move accordingly, and always ensure any firearm is unloaded prior to work. Any work you undertake you do at your own risk/liability, this is a part review, not a step by step guide. 

IMG_1366.jpg

The IDP extended magazine release unpackaged, unique in that is is the only one to my knowledge that actually provides a larger surface area, neatly machining a small gap underneath to allow it to clear the decocker on the 22X series guns.

IMG_1367.jpg

Fit, finish, and manufacture of the part is excellent-no complaints to say the least, and I scrutinize every part that goes into my firearms. Pictured below, from left to right, are the IDP magazine release, the Sig extended release (found on some X5 series guns) and lastly a standard Sig magazine release. Quick observation reveals that the IDP magazine release is beveled towards the back of the gun, making it very natural. There are no abrasive areas or discomforting screws; it's a solid piece.

IMG_1375.jpg

Below, in the same order, are the IDP, Sig X5, and standard releases, showing the enlarged area of the IDP release.

IMG_1372.jpg 

For trial, I installed this on my X5 tactical, realizing afterwards that I should have installed it on one of my DA/SA Sig pistols in order to verify function and clearance of the lever, but given the dimensions and fit I see no issue whatsoever. IMG_1373.jpg

So-how do I feel about the IDP Magazine Release? It performs as intended and is nicely made, no complaints there. I don't know that this belongs on a defensive gun, since that cutout noted above is one more area that clothing or debris can get caught. For a USPSA Production gun, only the length can be extended, limiting only the Sig factory extended version as the only alternative. That leaves a very small field of applicable uses, mainly USPSA Limited or a range only gun. One minor complaint I have is that the release definitely catches on my support hand, and I have small hands-folks with larger hands or a more forward grip may have some interference. My initial reaction is I prefer the factory X5 extended release (routinely available on gun broker) over the IDP version, but I will use it over the next few weeks to see how I feel about it. Still-a well made and well thought out product. As always, questions, pictures, etc., ask away!

IMG_1378.jpg