Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hawley Custom G17 Open

eric nielsen

Theo

The breechface cut for the striker tip [the FP hole] was cut too high and a little bit to the right also. They'd have to be blind not to see it if they shined a light down the striker tunnel. Also there was no debris hole drilled just aft of the breechface, so air was not flowing freely around the striker as it travelled.

Hunter - the ipsc-smith down here - copied the debris hole angle and location from my stock G35 slide and drilled one in the Caspian G17.

I took the striker tip to a grinder and changed the point so that it hits lower - kinda like shaping a 1911 long ejector. That centered up the primer hits.

Then John Nagel called and said to look for burrs in the breechface [found some] and see if the bottom of the striker tip was dragging on the FP hole - it was. Filed off a small amount of striker there & everything's been fine since. I'm real picky now about how the striker assy works after it's been reassembled - see "Ignition Test" over in the Glock forum.

Somewhere on here I said that the accuracy was about 3/4" at 25 yards. That was a mistake. Last night I shot David Tubb's way and got 2 groups in a row under 1/2". Zero 125gr JHP bullet [the R162] and 8.25gr of HS6, 1.150 OAL.

I don't think anyone with a frame-mounted dot gets that kind of accuracy from a Glock, but I could be wrong.

I took off the bandage-wrap grip because heavy doses of dry-fire ripped it up pretty often. I shaped some old wood grips and glued them on:

post-354-1120884186_thumb.jpg post-354-1120884217_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
Somewhere on here I said that the accuracy was about 3/4" at 25 yards. That was a mistake. Last night I shot David Tubb's way and got 2 groups in a row under 1/2". Zero 125gr JHP bullet [the R162] and 8.25gr of HS6, 1.150 OAL.

I don't think anyone with a frame-mounted dot gets that kind of accuracy from a Glock, but I could be wrong.

I took off the bandage-wrap grip because heavy doses of dry-fire ripped it up pretty often. I shaped some old wood grips and glued them on:

post-354-1120884186_thumb.jpg post-354-1120884217_thumb.jpg

Wow! Nice groups. Was any accurizing work done besides fitting the barrel?

Also, what is David Tubb's way?

Brian Hawley fit the KKM barrel, Beven Grams machined the slide for the Docter sight, and that's all the accurizing you need with a slide-mounted optic. The Caspian slide fits really tight to the Glock frame but that's not a big deal unless you mount a sight on the frame. Saw something on a video where D. Tubb hooks his finger from the outside in but really only tried that slow-fire.

Didn't really want to part with the most accurate gun i've ever owned, but it now belongs to Mike Killian. I did a few more mods plus a nice 1.75lb trigger job. Here is what it looks like now:

post-354-1185459350.jpg post-354-1185459361.jpg

Brian Hawley fit the KKM barrel, Beven Grams machined the slide for the Docter sight, and that's all the accurizing you need with a slide-mounted optic. The Caspian slide fits really tight to the Glock frame but that's not a big deal unless you mount a sight on the frame. Saw something on a video where D. Tubb hooks his finger from the outside in but really only tried that slow-fire.

Didn't really want to part with the most accurate gun i've ever owned, but it now belongs to Mike Killian. I did a few more mods plus a nice 1.75lb trigger job. Here is what it looks like now:

post-354-1185459350.jpg post-354-1185459361.jpg

Did those little ports where the front sight used to be do much?

And what sort of weight is that on the accessory rail?

The ports help hold the gun flat during recoil. This gun came that way but every other barrel that I've ported, the gun shot flatter. The weight was a blued-steel weight from Jentra, I cut & grinded on it until it was about 2oz, not the original 7oz. With an empty mag the gun weighs 34oz.