Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stag Arms Lefty Uppers

cking

Saw the add, was thinking about doing over one of my rifles. Anybody have any first hand news, reports etc would be appreciated.

Also has anybody tried the new JP safety that's ambi? Quality fit etc.

I have a Stag lower - right handed. It is a quality lower. Word has it that Stag is a contractor for a major AR manufacturer - but no one will say who.

Do a search on AR15.com - there's lots of info.

• 3 weeks later...

I played with one at the NRA show and to me it looked kind of cheesy. Not from a quality standpoint, simply the design, specifically the odd way of incorporating the dust cover into it.

Of course I'm right handed, if I had brass impacting my face I might think it was brilliant.

Quality wise everything they had out looked to be well made, only complaint is the large deer head on their lower.

Alan

'The ejection port cover opens upwards for two reasons. if it open downward it would block the bolt control, and they wanted to use the same door and pin. Opening upwards doesn't bother me. I will have to agree on the logo.

But I'm not very hansome either.

They sent me a rifle for the latest book, I liked it so much I'm thinking of sending them a check instead of the rifle. And I'm not even left-handed. When it comes to ARs, build quality is something you have to look at in the details. Of all the rifles I was sent for the book, only two had the telestock castle nut staked as per mil-spec: Colt and Stag.

Accurate, reliable and nicely built. They are machined by Continental, but assembled by Stag, a different corporation. As for the deer head, if you guys can't bring yourselves to own a rifle with such a logo, then that means there are more good ones for the rest of us.

My parts came in yesterday and I'm very pleased with the quality also. The upper fits without rattle on my Colt and PWA lowers.

So now the bolt and gas tube are at Compass Lake for the barrel build.