Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Tried Vv 3n38 In 9mm

Timp

Hi, this is my 1st post to the BE forums.

I will be starting to shoot USPSA open class with a Glock 24 converted to 9mm with a comp'd KKM 6" barrel. I was looking at what load will make a nice 9mm major load. I have always used VV powder in the past and would like to stick with VV if at all possible. VV lists a starting charge of 3N38 at 6.3gr making 1171fps out of a 4" barrel with a 147gr XTP. I would assume that just like in all my other guns that this would make somewhere around 1225 or so in the 6" barrel.

I don't think that 6.2-6.3 gr will be a compressed load, but i am not sure. I liek the fact that VV lists it as fast enough to make major but still at he suggested starting load.

Are there any better powders to use out there in place of 3N38.

Thanks a bunch

Tim

I shoot an Open glock built by John Nagel with a KKM barrel & Ti comp by Brian Hawley of Expiramental Machining.

I use 3N38 in 9 Major.

Before I go ANY further, you need to understand:

1) My barrel has 4 VERY LARGE hybrid holes - nearly fulll diameter. Thus, my gun begins to dump pressure after only about 2" of barrel.

2) You have a 6" barrel. Use a LOT LESS powder in your 3N38 Loads to start. Work up slowly.

That being said, I load a 124 grain Montana Gold CMJ or FMJ to a length of 1.160" & it severely compresses a major charge of 3N38.

In my gun, it takes 8.8 grains of 3N38 to reach major with the Montana 124. This is about 166 to 167 PF OUT OF MY GUN.

WIth a 6" barrel, I would start around 7.2 grains and only use 124s; you should load out to 1.155 or 1.160" and make sure to use ONLY once fired cases (then discard them or load to Minor).

Regards, D.

• 1 month later...