Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xtrema 2 cycling issues

twobrat

I had put about 300 rounds through this gun with zero issues over the last few years doing duck/upland/clays shooting. So I loan it to my father in law for a guided goose/duck hunt in Canada. He said on the last day it staring failing to load the second shell. I'm guessing the bolt just didn't quite close all the way. He said he shot almost a case of 3" duck and goose loads. So, my first thought was maybe I didn't send it with him as clean as I thought I did. So I cleaned the gun as clean as I could possibly make it, following all of the instructions from the manual. Just got around to shooting it again today on some clays. So with a very clean gun I shot maybe 5 shells and one of them failed to load. I could see that the shell dropped from the mag tube, the lifter stared to push it toward the chamber and it stopped. Giving it a slight nudge with the bolt handle and it loaded. I then went on to shoot over 2 boxes with complete success (they were cheap federal 7-1/2 lead).

I really can't imagine the recoil spring is bad on a < 500 round total firings. The only thing I question (has done this from day one), if you pull the bolt back it's smooth right up until it engages the lifter, at that point I would say it "hangs up". But I have been told that it's supposed to stop there and it simply needs a bit more force to start the lifter moving.

Any ideas?

I hesitate to take it to a local gunsmith (Des Moines, IA) since I haven't talked to any that seem to have a whole lot of experience with Xtremas.

• 2 months later...

Did you take apart/clean the recoil assembly in the stock and use a very light viscosity lube?  

FP-10, M1 0w- _, or BreakFree CLP work well.

It is a bit tougher the first time because you will need to heat up the cap enough to release the Loc-Tite.

1 minute ago, Yeti said:

Did you take apart/clean the recoil assembly in the stock and use a very light viscosity lube?  

FP-10, M1 0w- _, or BreakFree CLP work well.

It is a bit tougher the first time because you will need to heat up the cap enough to release the Loc-Tite.

My gun does not have the recoil spring in the stock. My recoil spring surrounds the mag tube. At any rate, that seemed to be the issue. I put a light lube on around the mag tube (where the recoil spring rides) and it has functioned flawlessly since.