Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sold the Ammobot, bought the Mark 7

After 4 months of using the Ammobot I had a few things that I did not care for.

It turns out that you have to sit with the kill switch in your hand and watch the shell plate.

They don’t exactly advertise this, but if you contact them they make it clear that it is in the owner’s manual and you need to follow those instructions.

This is true, I should have read page 29 of the Owner’s Manual before purchase- “5. Observe machine operation while keeping handheld reset switch in your hand AT ALL TIMES. 6. If observing any malfunction, press either the reset switch in hand or the yellow Reset button on control box.”.

I made my purchase based upon a comparison chart against other autodrive presses https://www.ammobot.us/pages/product-comparisonit happens to be a dead link at the moment.

It is not sensitive enough for my taste.

In 10,000 rounds, I’ve broken 9 primer pins and a shell plate.
It knocked the Primer System Assembly out of alignment with a tremendous hullabaloo. I am lucky it didn’t break something there.
It will fail to recognize a primer not punch out, swage it deep into the pocket, then smash a primer on top of that. I luckily have only had one detonation.
It will move the primer slide forward even if the primer is jammed into the hole on it. It seems like this is what causes an entire tube of primers to detonate. Luckily it never lit one.

The Primer Pocket Probe will not swage and sense at the same time. I was told the solution to this was to process the brass in one step with the stock swage rod, then install the Primer Pocket Probe and load ammo.

I learned that one of my friends that had the Ammobot sold it and went to the Mark 7, I learned his experience with the Mark 7 was very positive with respect to my issues.

Contacting Jay and asking a few questions about their Swage Sense, learning it will swage and detect at the same time, I decided to make the move.

I sold the Ammobot and bought the Mark 7 1050X (MK7) with the various sensors (though I still need to buy the Swage Sense).

The MK7 took about 200 rounds to get the primer sensor, dwell and clutch adjusted perfectly. I loaded 800 more to test it out.

On a clutch setting of 4, it stopped for 6 primers fail to punch out (all CBC cases, they suck), it caught one primer getting stuck in the primer slide for a hard jam, and 4 others that released out the bottom of the press by jogging up and down.

No primer pins breaking, no other problems.

I am confident that I can start the Mark 7 and have it stop itself if the smallest problem occurs, while I dryfire.

It does cost a grand more, so what do I get for my $1000? I get my time back, my sanity, as well as the primer pins which are $1 each and the rest of the damages to the Dillon.

post-52010-0-66866700-1467588532_thumb.j