Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 duck commander questions:

Deadcoyote

I want a better shotgun for 3 gun, currently own a mossberg 500 18.5" 5+1 capacity.

A lot of the tactical type semis are pretty pricey. I'm the only income with two kids, and cops aren't that rich! I see the duck commander model of the mossberg 930 seems to be on clearance everywhere. Buds has em for $407 and cheaper than dirt for $378. I could throw on a nordic plus 7 extension for $70 an be in business.

Question is are these lower grade than the normal 930? I can't figure out why they're so much cheaper.

Besides the fact they're badged with hill billy nonsense of course.....

You answered your own question. Their arrangement with Mossberg turned fowl (pun intended), so they are reduced to disappear from inventory quickly.

It is a standard 930 with extra cosmetic stuff. Compare the price to a similar Waterfowl model 930 with a 28" vented barrel (which both have and does put you in open class) and you can see they are paying you about $90 to take the 'extras'. It shouldn't cost you that much to dispose of the bandana.

:ph34r:

Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't aware the DC model had the ported barrel, specifically read a review saying it didn't because the reality show guys didn't like the porting. May still buy one, on the fence as the old auto 5's are pretty common used up where I live for cheap. I liked the idea of getting a new in box gun for the same price as an auto 5 from the 30's or 40's.

Verify the porting on the actual gun that you order as none of the high-resolution pictures are on Mossberg's site anymore and the images I've found are too small for a clear picture of the area. I've seen the DC guns both ways, but the only ported DC 930 I recall specifically was at a pawn shop and was otherwise modified. Then again, they also made a 500 and 935 with similar extras and I see dozens of 930/935 guns every month so I may have my file allocation table corrupted.

Like most other manufacturers, Mossberg will sometimes sub minor parts to get a batch of guns together, especially if they are coming to the end of a model's run. I actually own a 935 Grand Slam Turkey with a shorter JM Pro forearm on it, full camo and all, straight from the factory.