Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New To Reloading, How's This?

Kory

I had been shooting Blasers for a couple of years until I finally took the opportunity to reload using a friend's 1050.

After looking at what I normally shoot, and the suggested loads, he said I ought to run 4.6 of VV n320. We did the same OAL, 1.157" but the bullets we used are .587" long. I did, and I like the feel and accuracy. He tells me "you like hot loads" based on my use of Blaser 115's which chronos at ~1166 out of my CZ-75B. I told him if I could replicate that I would be happy. It works, it's less snappy than the Blasers, but folks tell me it's pretty hot for production or steel. I am getting ready to run another 2000 rounds through his 1050, anything I ought to know before I replicate that load again? New bulets are Zero 115's and .553" long.

I am curious why you are using that specific bullet. It isnt very popular for production since it has more recoil that say 147's. Other than that I dont see a problem with your load. It is definately hotter than I would use.

Kory, I pay about $100/1000 blazers in 9mm and have a dillon but not a 1050. Everytime that I compare costs it is almost as cheap to buy them as it is to make 9mm. Are you finding something different than I am.

A zero is close to 5 cents, primmer 2, powder .75, case another 1 - anyhow to save $10 a thousand and have to run around and pick up cases, I just can't justify pulling the handle 1000 times.

If you wanted something more customized like shooting 147 close to the power floor for minimized recoil maybe - but I have been extremely happy shooting Blazers - so what am I missing????

Thanks

Kory,

You might want to experiment with a OAL 1.10. Matt Mink suggested this for my CZ 85 and I have not had any feeding problems with this OAL.

By the way, I have a bunch of load data for 124 and 147g bullets in lead, FMJ and plated if you need it. It is with Titegroup, Universal and WSF. Just send me you email address.

The CZ's I've had have had short freebore, so that "straight" bullets like the XTP needed to be seated much deeper than when shot in something like a Glock or BHP.

Other bullets like Gold Dots or West Coast PRN could be seated out to 1.150" no problems.

I used a 115 because that is what I have always shot. I have never even tried a 124 or a 147 bullet in factory ammo or somebody else's reloads.

Like I said, I am new to reloading. I was happy to shave a few bucks off the ammo cost, and that all of my reloads worked great.

Now I want to know what I should be trying instead of that load.

"The CZ's I've had have had short freebore, so that "straight" bullets like the XTP needed to be seated much deeper than when shot in something like a Glock or BHP."

Certainly correct as far as the larger CZ & probably with the 9mm as well; I once tried to chamber a .45 ACP round that had a Montana Gold 200 Grn soft point seated to 1.240" (not overly long for a 45 ACP load) and it easily struck the rifling while not allowing the round to chamber.

As for the 147s I have tried, I seat them to 1.155" over very fast powder. They include:

zero 147 JHP

zero 130 FMJ RN

Wideners Master match 147 rn & FP

Berrys and Ranier 147 RN

Star 147 FMJ

Precision 147 TC

I believe a 147 over some N320 will produce a better 9mm load.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson