Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chamber Cleaning

Qstick

With bore mops and chamber brushes and chamber rods etc... what is everyone's favorite method of cleaning the chamber on an AR?

I have been using the dewey rod and chamber brush in my short time with the AR and just wanted to see if there was a better way.

Thanks,

zach

Sinclair locking lug recess cleaning tool and cotton mops just like John. Sinclair chamber brush mop (comes with their bolt rifle locking lug recess cleaning tool). 16 " cleaning rod with slot jag and large shotgun patch doubled, pulled through and then wrapped over top to form a changeable mop head.

The combination of these tools, Kroil and elbow grease is my entire AR chamber cleaning system. I don't use metal brushes anywhere inside my rifles anymore.

I use Castrol GTX 10-40 (cause thats what I put in my truck) on my AR bolt carriers, bolts and lugs nowadays. I still slop the recoil spring cavity wuth light lithium grease to keep the sproing down, just not so much that it gets hydraulic and pumps grease forward.

The detergent motor oil is running real clean in the bolt and allows me to pretty much wipe the bolt parts clean nowadays. It runs at any temp and never gums up.

I leave a film of Kroil in the bbl and chamber after cleaning and just shoot the sucker right from the safe.

--

Regards,

I still use the high power approach. First off, the body of the chamber (not shoulder or neck) has been polished with 220 grit wet-or-dry, then Flitz. That makes the chamber pretty slick to begin with. Then after every 200 rounds or so, I clean the chamber (bore too). 38 cal brush on a short piece of GI rod, wrapped with a big patch and solvent. I use Kroil instead of GI solvent, then a dry patch, and then mop and wipe the locking recesses. I check the chamber with a light and chamber mirror once in a while as a quality control check, and it always seems to work fine.

Billski