Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Video Critique

I'm curious to see if you all see the same things that I do when I watch this video. ;)

Unclassified production shooter, who hadn't fired a shot in USPSA in three years, trying to break the rust loose. I made sure to include the hit factors and breakdown of my accuracy in there. I definitely need more alphas so I need to turn the vision up a bit.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Biggest thing and lowest hanging fruit for you is TRANSITION SPEED. You're in a habit of addressing each and every target in an array individually. It's causing you to shoot "bang, bang.........bang, bang..........bang, bang..............bang, bang"

On targets that are similar in distance and width between at close ranges, your transitions should be much faster and should basically match your splits "bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang"

Notice the lack of pause between targets? This is where you'll find overall speed.

One other thing is when you move (most notably on the uprange movement on stage 2), MOVE!! When you're walking the stage, you should be picking up exactly the sport you want to move to and get there FAST. You looked to have no stage marker (a spot you pick out to draw your attention to getting precisely to) and seemed to move, then hunt, then move, then hunt....till you got to a position that allowed you to engage the array. There should be no hunting. Only execution of movement that gets you to the specific spot you want to be as quickly as possible.

Hope this helps a bit

Thanks, Tim!

Regarding transitions, that is certainly something I spotted as well. I believe a consequence of shooting a lot of IDPA (which tends to feature a lot of more closely packed target arrays) is that I lose my bangbangbamgbang speed and start with the "bangbang pause" when targets vary from steel to paper, distance, and how wide-open they are. It's definitely something to work on.

On movement? Actually I did a phenomenal job hitting my markers on the ground with one exception - the close port at the beginning of the 3rd or 4th stage that I obviously overshoot.

While retreating, I'm looking over my left shoulder at the ground because the bottom of the 2nd post holding up the wall IS my marker for my left foot. That doesn't mean I move quickly, but I did have a destination locked in!

However... I need to speed up my feet. Watching it critically, my load isn't done in time to really let me start my legs pumping like a GM, and I need to take longer strides with more foot speed. That's the most obvious thing to me.

Thanks for the critique!

Edited by MemphisMechanic