Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 Gen 4 guide rod issues

JD83

I installed a lonewolf ss guide rod, adaptor and a 13 ISMI spring. I did this due to my reloads having FTE issues with Gen 4. These reloads functioned better in my G19 Gen3, still had FTE but not as much as the Glock 34 did. Load was 147gr MGFP, 3.0 TG, 1.150.

So I read up on the Glock 34 Gen4 and guide rod springs due to the FTE. Thats how I ended up with the lonewolf conversion guide rod and the 13lb spring. I also increased the powder in my load to 3.2gr TG.

After that I no longer have the FTE issue. Just the issue of the slide occasionally not returning fully to battery.

Did some more reading and found that some guns require a lighter striker spring when using different guide rod springs.

I also stumbled across how to test the glock recoil spring. Should this test be performed while the trigger is depressed?

When I start completely vertical the with 13lb spring the slide will not fully close with this spring and the trigger pressed, even when horizontal. Put in the OEM guide rod assembly and the slide will return to battery most of the time, it will occasionally not return to battery while the trigger is pressed.

This is whats is confusing me is even the factory guide rod assembly fails this test randomly.

I have a jaber guide rod for the gen4 on order but will remain using the OEM one for now.