Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Legal base Pads for the SP01 - PSA

ArrDave

With a very strict interpretation of the rules, the mag with the base plate may not weigh more than the OEM mag by more than an ounce for SSP. Since the "OEM" mag for the SP01 is the 18 rounder, which weighs LESS than the 16 round OEM magazine, that runs into issues.

Good news: The 17 round MecGar AFCs with Springer Precision Base pads weigh LESS than 1 ounce more than the OEM 18 round magazine w/ rubber base pad (right at .9 oz on my crappy kitchen scale).

Obviously the 18 round magazine with the SP base plate would be SSP legal.

My 16 round MecGars with SP bases weigh about 1.1 oz over the OEM 18 round, due to the weight difference in the mag bodies (not the base pads, oddly)

Guys who don't shoot IDPA probably don't care, but now you at least know in case anybody asks.

I know rules are rules, but I've only ever had my gun weighed with an empty mag in it. They were looking at a total weight, not the weight of the individual components. Have you had an individual mag weighed before at a match? Also what about the weight of the factory mag in states where the SP01 ships with a 10round mag? Which is the lightest mag of them all.....

I know rules are rules, but I've only ever had my gun weighed with an empty mag in it. They were looking at a total weight, not the weight of the individual components. Have you had an individual mag weighed before at a match? Also what about the weight of the factory mag in states where the SP01 ships with a 10round mag? Which is the lightest mag of them all.....

It's a totally dumb rule with me speaking to the most literal interpretation. There are exceptions as you're mentioning and the dude below you with Shadow Orange. I agree, the only gear checks I've had have been the total gun + mag weight (and my Springer base pads on my 16s are fine for that). I probably have an irrational fear of getting DQ'd because i'm a big "rules" guy in general. I totally get that nobody will ever likely get flagged. Most of the time the "gear check" is at the chrono, and more often than not that dude doesn't care as long as you hand him a gun that he is somewhat familiar with. Only one match have I ever shot where they had an actual gun smith verifying each gun was legal. I guess since there's no list anywhere they don't establish formally a baseline. If I were flying into a match though I'd probably only bring kit that met the letter of the rules, but for most sanctioned matches it's probably fine.

And Shadow Orange ships with aluminium base pads.