Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Southern Shine Tumbler's Media

I am using a FART with the supplied 5lbs pins. I have experienced a few pins stuck inside 223 brass. Around this time the all knowing and benevolent Facebook gods put a link to Southern Shine Tumblers in my news feed. Their media has a unique shape that has me intrigued. Has anyone else tried the media?

https://www.facebook.com/southernshinetumblers/?fref=ts

I have 5 lbs of it and honestly I have a love/hate relationship with it/ I love the way it gets into every part of the brass and cleans so good but I hate that it is very light and a lot of it ends up going down the drain. I also hate that some of it is carbon steel and rusts like crazy if you don't completely dry it after use. The pins that come with the FART are terrible for 223, they are small and get stuck in the case necks all the time. They sell larger pins that are much better for the job. I am currently running 5lbs of pins and 5lbs of Southern media and my brass comes out very clean.

Edited by Raydee38

• 6 months later...

The southern shine stuff works great for cleaning, but as Raydee said, I am sure my kitchen sink trap has a bunch of it in there.

The screen colander i use has too big of holes that some of the smaller bits get thru. I am going to buy a new colander, or line my current one with patio screen to prevent it from falling thru.

I havent really had the rusting as described above. There are a few bits that have turned black, but no noticeable rust.