Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extraction issues when hot.

Open1215

Hello all. Range trip today and shot about 300 rounds out of my sti. It's a custom build based off a trubor.

It has always ran great without any issues until this trip. Randomly the brass would fall off the extractor and just stove pipe. The it would try to double feed. I would drop mag and then the slide would shut and stick. I would have to wack the slide racker on the counter to clear then it would be fine. I would let it cool and it would run for 50 rounds fine then do it again. Or it would jam 80% into a feed. The gun would almost go into battery with a new round and stop like 4mm shy and again it would jam like this and need to be pounded on to rack the slide back.

New issue.

Only happens when HOT. I put it down for a few min to cool and it runs like a top even with the same round that jamed. Multiple loads and OAL as I was trying some new stuff out.

I shot 115 and 124 under hs-6, cfe and wac.

It did this with all ammo.

Any suggestions.

Gun was shooting 9maj. Mix hs brass. Mix hs jammed too...

That's what's Killin me. It's mix brass. No single headstamp, didn't chamber check each round but the same round will chamber and shoot after the gun cools.

Btw. Shot the wac and 124 load you recommend. I loaded a 115g too and the 124 was harsher then the 124 in my gun. Completely shocked me.

No telling what's going on. Could the extractor be too tight causing it to bind on the case when hot? If it's an aftec maybe pull a spring out.

Is the gun clean?

Hard to believe on the ammo feel. Did you chrono both?

No I need to but I was indoors. I plan to chrono them, I did load 100 but only shot 50. 1 may have been hotter then the other. I need to chrono to be positive.

Gun was clean, I will take a look at the extractor as well as the chamber. Perhaps there is a slight nick or scratch in the chamber causing it to stick when it's hot? Swelling juuuuuust enough to be a P.I.T.A?