Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Avalanche

1) I have noticed that most rear cocking serrations are either vertical or have a little cant. Why not have the serration area as wide as grips and on the same angle line as the grips?...just a thought...hope how I explained is understandable.

2) I have a Colt Gold Cup that has Elliason rear sites. There is a small hole in each side of the slide and the site that some type of pin most go into. Well, some how the pin is gone and the forward part of the rear site cants upward. Do I just need to get a pin? If so, where? And is this a do-it-yourself project?

3) Where can I get quality colored grips for my daughters gun? Other than spray painting them?

Thanks

Have spray canned plastic grips and it works - just get some cheap 1911 plastic grips from a budget source like CDNN out of shotgun news and use a good quality paint - enamel works well but keep coats thin so the grips do not get too slick. Once she likes the gun, try switching to rubber grips (like pachmyer of hogue) during a shooting session - she will never go back to the fancy colored grips after that no matter what her gun looks like. D.

I agree about the angle of the cocking serrations.  Colts have vertical but most have them angled.  Some match the angle of the grip, but some don't.

I guess most makers just don't pay that much attention is the main reason they don't quite line up most of the time.

Same question on the front serrations.  It looks neater to me to have the rear-most serration (of the front set) meet the point where the dustcover cutaway starts.  I don't think I've ever seen it, but several pistols are just one serration away from my ideal.  Does no one but Avalanche and I think of these things?