Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting rid of limp wrist

Foxbat

I am teaching my daughter to shoot, and she is doing pretty well overall, but she is having the limp wrist problem - at least this is what I think.

She is shooting a 9mm Glock, either 19 or 17, and her grip is good, but with the current ammo she is getting 30-40% shots where the gun does not cycle properly and fully. The gun/ammo works perfect in my hands.

Do you agree this is limp wristing, and what are good ways of getting rid of it?

She is actually 40, and she is in very good physical shape, but I am sure the "shooting muscles" are not yet fully developed. The ammo is just a tad softer than 125.

I realize the hotter ammo will solve it for now, but I would like her to develop good technique. Do people really outgrow it? Asking, because I never had that problem myself.

Just guessing, but it sounds like you need to up the power factor and/or go to a lighter recoil spring. Something under 125 certainly isn't helping matters, especially if you have the stock recoil spring.

Besides limp wristing, women tend to loosen up on the grip when firing the gun. Actually, I've always thought or speculated that limp gripping was more of a problem than limp wristing...but that's just my opinion. A good solid grip high up on the gun will help with that. Also, you'll notice the really good female USPSA iron sight shooters get behind the gun, and lean in more than most men.

I'm not a big proponent of wrist and hand exercises because so many people over do it and end up injuring themselves but it's something she may want to consider. Doing a lot of dry fire and more live fire will probably be enough to exercise the right muscles, and tendons.

I'm certainly no expert but over the years I've known many women that have had the same problem and most were able to overcome it. Take it for what it's worth, and good luck.