Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shorty Open Gun Build Frame Material: 4140 or 7075?

gunsngeeks

Hello all,

I'm building my first shorty open gun to review the Limited-10 STI 2011 style 80% frames. I have 2 frames, one a tactical in 4140 carbon steel and the other a 7075 aluminum. Both are the long, wide configuration with the exception of the picatinny rail on the tactical model. (Both also have Para/Clark ramp cuts)

The gun will be built in 9 major to keep things cheap as far as load development goes. I won't be competing as I am disabled due to Muscular Dystrophy. The gun will be one of at least a trio of pistols to be used as test beds for new product & ammunition reviews.

My question is will the 7075 hold up to the battering of the major loads over time??? I have seen plenty of aluminum framed guns hold up to thousands of rounds but running the hot loads and light springs is new to me as i always just shot single stack. I was hoping to use the 7075 for weight savings as my arm strength is limited.

Most of my shooting will probably be done off bags with my friends helping with the running and gunning tests.

I will list all of the components I have soon as well. Also, if anyone has any tips or suggestions please don't be shy. I am a longtime gunsmith but I want to learn everything I can...

I'm also in need of a dirt cheap or donated thumb rest. I'm using an STI Steelmaster C-More mount if that helps. It has a tiny little thumb rest but my hands are huge!!!

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

Dan

Edited by gunsngeeks