Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideal 45 ACP Dies for Single Stage and Progressive?

Gentlemen,

I'm trying to decide on which 45 ACP die set to buy for use in my Forster Co-Ax press that can later be adapted to a Dillon 650 Progressive.  I'm leaning toward the Redding Titanium Carbide Pro series dies with one of their Competition Seaters, however, I don't believe they're set up with an expander due to the powder die accomplishing this function on most progressives.  Can I get by with the Pro set or do I need to purchase the standard Titanium Carbide Expander Die seperately?  Thank you, Matt.

Welcome Matt! I shoot and live in VA as well. Drop me an e-mail sometime.

As for your question, not sure about the co-ax as I have swithed to the DIllon 650 exclusively. You are on the money as far as carbide dies - that and a little OneShot case lube will make resizing simple.

Two tips you may want to consider -

1) Undersized dies. Lee and possibly others make a slightly tighter resizing die that will leave your reloads with that "coke bottle" shape. Why is this desireable? - the smaller case diameter prevents bullet setback or pushback while allowing you to use minimal crimp. Also, the smaller case will fit better in tight match chambers (see Lyman's Hangun reloading manual - the chapter "Reloading for Competition").

2) The Lee Factory crimp die. In handun calibers, it has a second carbide ring that will remove any bulges in the case on the last stage of reloading. Though not a requirment, it does seem to reduce the number of rejected cases.

While I insist on Dillon equipment for most of my reloading, I use Lee brand dies - the Lee dies are of excellent quality despite the ridiculously low price.

Do not worry too much about reloading .45 - just find a load thats relaible and recoils the way you want it to. .45 is the most forgiving IPSC/USPSA caliber as far as reloading safety and insensitivity to minor variations in components/process (EG - I don't sort case headstamps or count the number of reloads on practice or local match ammo).

Finally, use a fast, modern, powder.  Regards, D.

Carlos,

Nice to meet with another Virginian and shooter.  I will definately put you in my e-mail list.  May have a question or shooting invitation to send your way one of these days.

I will definately keep the Lee dies in mind.  Its odd that soo many of his products, while often the cheapest on the market, perform surprisingly well.  Thank you for your input.

Regards, Matt.

I will throw my $.02 in for .45 dies.  I don't think an undersize sizer die is that important in .45.  The pressures are low and it's just not that big of deal.  .40 is another deal entirely though.  I used a standard Dillon carbide sizer and it worked fine.  I don't see why a Lee carbide wouldn't work just as well.  The Redding Competition seating die is a great die.  Consistent, easy to adjust, worth the money IMO.  The Lee Factory Crimp is also a good die.   Easy to adjust and has a carbide sizer ring to post size the case.  Can't help on an expander, but my recommendation would be Lee for everything except the Redding seater.  

Agree w/ DB as to the .45 being low pressure and low stress to reload - if you do not experience bullet set-back, an undersize die is not a requirement in .45 ( and as he stated, .40 is another story altogether) one other down-side, a U die will "work" the brass more and reduce caselife a little.

Completely agree that the Redding Competition seating die is a great die - have used in in .223. VERY accurate. I uderstand in handgun cal.s it will help guide bullet straight into the case better than other dies - something to do with the seater.  If you have the $$$$, there is nothing wrong with Redding dies.

As for expanders, here is where Lee has a downside - they are rough! Luckily, you have a 650. The 650 expander should be fine.  For the Co-ax if your expander (of whatever brand) is not mirror smooth, chuck it in a drill press and try a little Flitz polish on it.

The Redding Competition seating die is a great die.

BTW, Matt: are you doing the 3 gun out at NRA next Tues.? I am on the 9pm squad.

About the only die I am really concern with when loading the 45 is the taper crimp one.  I use the Dillon.  Its has more taper than others.  Any resizer will do, neck expanding is done on the 1050, and any seating die will do.  And then I give it alot of taper.  Around .464-468.  The 45 cartridge and most 45 guns shoot good enough at 25 yds that I dont see the need for any specility items.   Its just any way of spending money.   just my thoughts.