Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel end device options for steel

ihocky2

I have a 9mm 1911 that I want to setup for steel, using a minor load. I know minor benefits less from a compensator, but have shot comparisons that the muzzle flip is definitely reduced. I am looking to do at least some of the work myself and could use some advice on which may give me better results and how difficult they will be to achieve.

3 Port EGW cone compensator - I would have to get the barrel threaded and the slide cut for a reverse plug by a gunsmith. After that I believe I can do the install myself. I am confident with fitting the cone to the slide and at least comfortable enough to attempt fitting the compensator to the slide for the gap.

Pros: uses factory barrel, so barrel fitting is not required.

Cons: threading and milling has to be done by gunsmith. Costs money and timelines are unknown.

3 port EGW bushing compensator - This is the style that needs a threaded barrel and the comp is relieved to fit over the bushing. I would need a new barrel and am comfortable with fitting the barrel. This lets me avoid the gunsmith work to the slide and possibly the barrel. The trouble I am having is finding a pre-threaded barrel.

Pros: avoids gunsmith work, compensator install seems like less work than cone style.

Cons: Finding a barrel is hard, may have to buy an extended barrel and still have gunsmith shorten and thread it. Kind of negates cost savings.

Storm Lake Ported Barrel - Should be drop in, if not it only requires minor fitting. The hang up is that I am not sure how much effect I will get from the porting. Can anyone speak to this?

Pros: Cheaper option and requires the least amount of install work.

Cons: Possibly less effective. Also doesn't look as cool as a compensator (lets be fair, we all want a sexy looking gun).

Thanks