Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PDQ Ambi-Bolt release

2Xalpha

Do any have experience with the PDQ bolt release (Pretty Damn Quick) from Teal Blue Bravo?

The question is if it can snag and cause malfunctions. Anyone had problems with that?

Seems handy for starts without a magazine, and for the "unload and show clear" command. Easier malfunction clearance is not that relevant, since this will be on a competition rifle (that is supposed to run, if it stops you're f*#ked anyways), but it's a nice bonus. But will it snag?

Edited by 2Xalpha

I have a couple of Aero Precision Lowers that come with this pre-installed. I don't have a lot of rounds through them yet, but they seem to work very well. Since I like to lock bolts open on empty rifle starts, I am a big fan of something that lets me do that with my trigger finger. Also, this improves on the BAD/Phase 5 lever because it gets the extra manipulation up away from the trigger guard.

Manipulation away from the trigger guard is a big plus, and is the reason I've never considered options like the BAD lever. The worst case scenario with such levers is that they may become a safety concern when you speed things up - I just don't like to monkey around the trigger when I'm not engaging targets. :)
PDQ seems like the best option, unless it may cause failure to lock back or premature lock-backs (?)

PDQ seems like the best option, unless it may cause failure to lock back or premature lock-backs (?)

From a functional point of view, the main criticism of the BAD Lever seems to be the weight. The Phase 5 skeletonized 1-piece addresses some of that, though what weight there is still sits at the end of a lever arm, so I suppose could cause problems on a highly tuned (i.e., low margin of error) set up.

The PDQ should be lighter and is definitely more compact, so while it may still be possible for excess weight on the bolt catch to cause problems, I think the likelihood is even lower than the other options. I've personally never had lockback issues with any of them, and I have used all three (mostly BAD levers, one lower with a Phase 5, and now a limited number of rounds through the PDQ/Aero lowers).

By the way, the first place I ever saw one of these was on a prototype JP light rifle on display at the Rockcastle Pro-Am a couple years back. If the PDQ is good enough for JP (and, though I didn't think to ask at the time, if it was on a light rifle it probably had adjustable gas/LMOS) it should be good enough for just about anybody!

The main issue I have with the PDQ is that it requires modification of the lower. I'm not adverse to using a Dremel if needed, but I'm not convinced that this brings enough extra to the table over that provide by the Magpul or Troy levers.

Well, as I said I bought one that came straight from the manufacturer fitted for the PDQ, but a buddy of mine modded a standard lower to take the PDQ and as far as I know he never had any issues. It is a very minor amount of material that needs to be removed.