Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What should I do to get ready?

Sarge, you helped in a huge way! The time you spent with me on Saturday made me comfortable enough to have a ton of fun on Sunday.

Despite what I'm about to complain about, I am listening to advice and have been messing with the gun since last night trying to get more comfortable with it.

The stuff I want to change has to do with reloading and general comfort - I was really distracted by the ergonomics of the gun during the match. My biggest concern is that I need to re-position the gun in my hand to hit the mag release, and use my left hand to hit the slide stop lever. At least once I came really close to a DQ trying to manage shifting the gun during a reload (RO mentioned it). That alone sounds to me like a big distraction for a rookie. The other things are the grips and thumb safety chafing my hand, a magwell is a given with the skinny frame and all the reloads. I can live with the front sight for awhile, but eventually it will have to go.

I don't know that I'll ever get the 1911 to fit like a CZ but maybe it can be a lot better. I bought the 1911 on an impulse. It's a really good gun and shoots great, but I didn't spend much time with 1911s before buying one. On the other hand, I spent a ton of time with a CZ and know I would have none of the same complaints. So now I'm driving myself nuts. :goof::eatdrink: I will keep working on it though and won't make any changes before I shoot another match.

Handling the gun often, preferably for dry fire, should help with your comfort level. Your skin will thicken in just the right places for that gun. It made a big difference for me to find a mag catch button that let me keep my same grip for dropping the mag.

You guys are right - I have a lot to learn!

Apparently this guy 'Rob Leatham' knows something about how to grip a gun. Maybe you've heard of him. ;) I saw the shortest how-to video I've ever seen and yet it was amazingly helpful.

I also went to the gun shop yesterday, and they had a CZ at the range. I'm amazed at how much my perception has changed. I used to think that gun was big and heavy, LOL. It fits like a glove and shoots nice, but it made me really appreciate my Sig 1911. This one shoots really nice, too.

Well today it clicked and I finally love my new gun. I have been second guessing it for 3 weeks now so I'm pretty relieved. I just had so much fun with it. I was at the range for a free seminar and figured I'd shoot a few afterward (apparently it's impossible to shoot one box).

Except for 5-6 shots in the center target, the paper below was all shot simulating 2-target arrays at ~15yds. 4 shot groups, starting with the gun in my hands near the bench with the safety on, and I'm guessing < 2sec by the time all 4 rounds are fired. The targets are ~7". Sarge will say I am too slow :yawn: but I am really happy about my recoil control and keeping the second shot on target . This is by far and away the best I've ever shot.

Spending time with the gun in my hands really helped. I will want to make a few changes at some point, but I can certainly live with it. I practiced drawing from the holster today (at home), and practiced some mag changes too. I am a lot more comfortable with the gun in my hands. This thing shoots sooo nice.

This is way too much fun!

4%20shots_2sec_15%20yds_zpsqd3vscsq.jpg

Edited by StraightSh00ter

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...