Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clarification 11.1.2 what is considered "exceptional circumstances

sw627

Hi,

I'm new so if this has been covered in a previous post please point me in the right direction.

If a competitor is DQed for a safety infraction is he allowed to submit an appeal? If not where does it state this in the IPSC rule book? (I was told by a RM at a level III State Titles match that I can't appeal a safety infraction, when I asked for him to point out his rule in the IPSC rule book he said it's not in the book)

Can someone please clarify (give an example) of what a RM would consider to be exceptional circumstances (11.1.2) for a safety infraction DQ to be allowed an appeal for reconsideration.

Also does IPSC/USPSA have a book/list of precedence's?

Thanks

Without being an expert, as I read it, the competitor can appeal (10.3.1) irrespective of whether the DQ was due to safety or other prohibited activity. I think the RM was wrong in stating that you cannot appeal. Maybe he meant that he will not uphold the appeal (but then you can go to the Appeals Committe, which for all levels in defined in 11.2)(11.2.1 for LIII and above, 11.2.2 for LI and LII)

As for the exceptional circumstances, I might hazard a guess on the following situations.

1. Competitor is standing on a bridge, or other prop and the prop colapses forcing competitor to break the 180 rule (2.2.1 on obstacle construction)

2. Due to soft ground (or other animal activity) part of the path collapses and again competitor breaks the 180 rule (2.1.5 on range surface)

I don't think that IPSC has a precedence list, but most probably similar questions have been discussed in the GV forum.

Hey,

Thanks for the replies, IPSC rules only.

Some time after the event I was quoted a section from the IPSC rule book 11.1.2 "However, the commission of the infraction as described by the Match Official is not subject to challenge or appeal." I was told that for a safety infraction the RO's call is unable to be challenged, once the RM confirms that the RO is certain in his own mind as to what he saw, the matter is effectively complete.

Does this mean the RM was correct in denying me the opportunity to submit an appeal to the arbitration committee?

11.1.2 in plain words just says that if the RO DQ'd you for a safety infraction, you cannot challenge the safety infraction, but you can only appeal for exceptional circumstances.

It has nothing to do with denying you the appeal. You just cannot claim that you did not do a safety infraction.

If thats the case then the IPSC rules don't protect competitors from inexperienced/incompetent officials...............

Very interesting ... what about inexperienced/incompetent competitors how are the officials protected from them ? ....

You never stated the where the match was, was it a Level III. Why dont you post this question on the GV and then give more details ....

Cheers .....

Hey Kevin,

Totally agree this is why IPSC needs to run video at high level comps to protect both officials and competitors.

Sorry not sure what GV is? Wasn't sure if this was the correct place to post my questions, I was looking for international clarification on the rules as I already got the Australian version.

Hey Kevin,

Totally agree this is why IPSC needs to run video at high level comps to protect both officials and competitors.

Sorry not sure what GV is? Wasn't sure if this was the correct place to post my questions, I was looking for international clarification on the rules as I already got the Australian version.

Well to be honest the Australian Version as you put it, is the International Version, as its ALL the same Rule Book. Australia has some very competent IROA Officials. Why dont you ask this on the Australia IPSC Forum.

GV is Global Village - do a google search and you will find it.

Cheers ....

Edited by Kevin Pledger