Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacement sights for Mossberg 930

bosoxfan21

Does anyone have any recommendations for replacement sights for a Mossberg 930? I have the 24" turkey barrel that have the fiber optic sights on it but it shoots slugs nearly 3 ft high at 85 yds and the current sights are not adjustable.

I had an issue very similar to yours. I have a 930 with a 24" turkey barrel and slugs shot high left. I would have to hold at the bottom corner of an IDPA sized steel target at 75 yds. Spinners and poppers were a nightmare. I bought a set of truglo true point Xtreme sights and that gave me a tall enough front sight to bring poi down and enough windage to center the shots. There was a bad side effect to this. Birdshot poi changed. The change I made corrected the 5% of shots (slug shots) that I made in a match but threw off the other 95%(Birdshot). I started missing easy static targets. I eventually took off the rear and put a Hi-viz comp front sight only. Then I put in the stock shim to lower the drop of the stock and went to the range. My poi is a few inches low but windage is good. I'm not sure why the windage issue was fixed but I can deal with a bit low poi. My groups are not as good as my buddy's 1301 but I can hit stuff with it now. I read Patrick Kelly's article on gun fit and that's what put me to where I am. Maybe try changing the shim (unless you already have) and get rid of the rear sight altogether. Other than the slugs used for testing its a free change. Oh, also my accuracy suffers when the barrel gets leaded up. My barrel is not the smoothest and gets leaded up very quickly. I have to used a tornado brush to get the lead out. Even a match with only 5 slug shots will lead up my barrel. Just my .02 using the same gun.