Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester Brass

Irishlad

Hello,

I recently bought some new Winchester brass and after about 5-6 loadings I have split about 20 % of the cases already. These are not the small splits that occurred with the previous S&B brass at about 10-15 loadings, but splits down the side of 1/8" or more.

I have loaded previous mixed brass, including Winchester, and do not recall having this problem. In fact, I recall feeling Winchester was one of the more durable cases.

I load a moderate 200 LSWC, 4.8 gr of WST and have not changed the "bell" or  final crimp, if that makes a difference! I load on a SDB with factory settings, recently rebuilt.

Is Winchester not durable or perhaps I just bought a bad batch?

I "read" that other people get 20-30 loadings on good brass. If that's true then what brands do they use and/ or maybe I am "working" the brass too much by belling and crimping?

Thanks for your input.

You do need to investigate this some. I assume you're talking about .40S&W. Working the brass during "belling" could contribute a little if you were being ridiculous. You only need to flare it enough for the bullet to sit up on the case. No more, no less. But that's a stretch of the imagination to think it's the cause. I'd be more interested in your final dimensions and any chrono data you have. A loose or no crimp could allow the bullet to get pushed back into the case during feeding thereby shortening your OAL and drastically increasing your pressure. Now THAT will cause you to split cases AND WORSE if you're not careful.

Hi,

I should have a proof-reader, I can't believe I ommitted the caliber. Sorry, it's a 45 ACP.

I load it to 1.25" and I have not checked the speed.

I will measure the crimp but I have not changed anything and this is a recent problem with this brass only.

Good thought, I will chamber the round and take it out and measure to see if the bullet is getting set back.

Thanks

My initial thought was "oversize chamber."  If the S&B is just a bit softer, or slightly thicker, it could last longer under duress.  The Winchester might be a small amount thinner, or slightly harder, and so gives up sooner and to a greater extent.

Do you have someone who has a .45 that doesn't break brass?  Swap a handful of brass and keep them separate from your other stuff.  Same for him.  If your breaking Winchester brass doesn't break in his gun, and his breaks in your gun, the chamber is the culprit.

I'm not sure measuring fired brass for expansion would work, it might be too small an amount to reliably measure.

Thanks for the reply,

I will try that with a friend's gun and see what happens.

Hopefully, it's the brass and not a chamber problem. In the meantime I will buy some other brass and see if it continues with my gun.

I have a 1991A1 that is very reliable and accurate, with a bushing change, and would hate to "mess" with it!

Side note: Your latest book on "The 1911" is excellent both in content and clarity. Hopefully you have more books coming on the 1911.