Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BE-86 and Xtreme 124FP, nice in an M&P9

RandyLahey

Just an FYI. I'll also dig my chrono out this weekend if weather permits, but been tracking some accuracy issues in my M&P9. Heard that gun shoots best with duty/carry 124 hollow points. So I ordered some Xtreme plated 124 flat points to mimic that bullet profile/CG. Plinking loads with 4.5-4.7gr Green dot works well. 5.6 gr of BE-86 is making it snappy and more of a tack driver. I don't see a lot of posts on BE-86 so thought I'd share my experience.

Finer grain powder, meters super great in my Lee auto disk. Seems to burn really clean, although sample size is pretty low(<100 rounds so far). I am getting near max(although book says 5.8-5.9) I'm starting to see the beginnings of primer flattening in a few of the spent shells. I could probably push it a bit more if I back off COL, but I'm pretty sure the chrono will show pretty good FPS and tbh I don't care what the fps are, as long as I get the accuracy I'm looking for.

BTW further details:

Brass: purchased once fired, run through a machine to "de glock" the possibility of bulges.

Primer: Tula small pistol magnum

Powder: 5.6gr BE-86

Bullet: Xtreme 124gr FP

crimp: light, to remove the bell @ 3.775-3.778

COL: 1.069 but I did later back off to 1.075 once I found the beginnings of primer flattening in a few of the spent shells.

Edited by RandyLahey

Just a follow up. was at the range today and put 200 rounds of the BE-86 and 300 rounds of the green dot 124 gr flat points down range. The Green dot loads were easy to shoot, and fair accuracy. Better than any other load I've run through the gun so far. I could hold 2-2.5 inch groups at 15 yards. The BE-86 loads though were money. Able to put a ragged hole in paper about 1-1.5 inches in diameter at 15 yards. This is about as accurate as my M&P40, but that gun is accurate with about any load you give it. My M&P9 definitely needs it's ammo tuned for sure. Glad it's getting the accuracy though :). Really liking the BE-86.