Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Processed 223 brass from X-Treme?

Religious Shooter

I usually use Scharch/Top Brass for processed 223 brass with good results.

Has anybody used X-Treme's processed 223 brass?

Significantly cheaper than Scharch but they don't specify what primer they used and they don't specifically say how many times they have been fired and what type of headstamp they have, etc.

http://www.xtremebullets.com/Rifle-Brass-s/48374.htm

Good? Bad? OK?

Everybody would prefer single headstamp once-fired.

The one reviewer says he thinks it is 1X fired brass.

I bought 3K of the primed XTreme for $364.10 delivered. Scharch's website is currently down. But I think at current prices 3K primed from Scharch is around $600+ delivered.

$240 savings is worth the risk for local match and practice ammo.

For big matches I will still use Scharch or new brass for my LR ammo and factory 55's for close.

Let us know how it turns out, as there's no way of 'guessing' exactly what they do with their 'brass credit' program brass - it may go to Freedom Munitions for loading reman. loads, I suppose.

Well I got the 3K I ordered. I ordered another 3K since they had another sale and it was cheaper than the first 3K. So I ordered 6K total so far.

Comes in a black box with a lot #. The first 3 boxes that I got was #41. Took out ten cases from each box and took a look at the headstamps... all 30 of them was "FC 223 Rem". All with gold colored primers.

I haven't shot them. I loaded up 80 to shoot for the match tomorrow with 24.7 WCC844, 55 grain American Marksman CU bullets to be used in my mid-gas gun. I had to clear up some of the shavings from the bullet but ALL of them passed my EGW gauge. With Midway Pulled LC brass I was getting about a 5% rejection when using the EGW.

I took out a couple and measured them and got some relative comparisons:

XT 223 (10):

AVG: 1.740

SD: .0019

HI/LO/ES: 1.744/1.738/.006

5.56 Midway Pulled (5):

AVG: 1.758

SD: .0027

HI/LO/ES: 1.763/1.755/.008

Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor New (10):

AVG: 1.916

SD: .0011

HI/LO/ES: 1.918/1.914/.004

• 3 weeks later...

Just to follow up with the 2nd lot # 2757.

Picked 10 from each box, head stamps were 10 FC and 20 LC. FC averaged 1.740" and the LC was 1.748".

On this lot the neck was noticeably tighter. I run a Lee FL die on station 1 in order to round out the case mouth by running the bell of the decapper over the case mouth. A lot of resistance with the second lot.

With the loaded rounds I'd say 60% mic'ed in my 5.56 EGW mic. So 40% failed the EGW. But about 98% of those rounds mic'ed fine with my JP mic. Two out of about 200 failed both the JP and EGW. Another round had a huge dent and one round had an upside down primer. So ~4 failures out of about 200 that I checked.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...