Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two things I guess.

One is that I'm going to try and change the way I post on this forum. After reading through my posts I feel like I often times come off wrong. Having never desired to do this I realized that possibly what I'm typing isn't converting from what I'm thinking. I respect you all and owe you better.

Second though is that I read a book called "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell and Ron Avery is mentioned near the end. This isn't the end all of books but it is a decent read. It's a business book - go figure????

OK - one more - a major studio is launching the first movie of the "Chronicals of Narnia" series in December of this year. I saw some of the things they are planning and can I say AWESOME! Very good stuff.

JB

Second though is that I read a book called "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell and Ron Avery is mentioned near the end. This isn't the end all of books but it is a decent read. It's a business book - go figure????

Dang Jack, you just gonna leave us hangin' :rolleyes: In what context was Ron mentioned?

BTW, I always enjoy your posts, and your honesty. Hope to meet you someday, but before we do I need to keep practicing so I can at least give you a run for your money :D

I didn't post how Ron is in the book because it's a little difficult to explain in context - however I'll give 'er a go.

The book is about the benefit of making decisions very quickly versus through hard research. It explains how in many cases the quick decisions can in fact be better. It discusses that we don't know what we know and that inhibits our ability to make instant decisions instantly.

So then it explores other factors that can impact this and it goes into some police shootings that took place years ago. This is a business book but its all looped in pretty well. It references Ron in terms of his heart rate and the rate that he performs best under as a top ranked marksman. The gist of the discussion (and in the book it was pretty short) was that once the heart rate is over about 150 our ability to make sound decisions starts to deteriorate. Malcolm was using Ron as an example of a person that goes through a "similar" scenario as the police (again - in context - we all know it isn't really similar and I don't feel like Malcolm was alluding to the fact that they were from an emotional standpoint) and how he has to monitor his heart rate in order to perform his best - like the police would need to do.

Didn't do a great job explaining it - but that's kind of what it boils down to.

Interestingly I thought the book had some application in shooting . . .

Oh, and when we meet Bill, and you've been practicing, please bring some WD-40. The rust on these bones is still very evident :D