Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

advice for Glock guy that wants a detonics mtx for comp and defense

shake55

I am experienced and capable with guns. A fair amount of respected formal training. Regular dry and live fire regime. All with glocks, hk or sigs. I have owned 1911s in the past. The detonics mtx I really want. Bit being pretty much a newbie to the 1911/2011 world I want to see what advice you guys have on my chooch and circumstances. 1. Any experience with this gun? 2. Are 2011s at good chpice for defense? 3. What learning paths do you suggest to become 1911/2011 competent?

I can't give you all the info you seek, but having made the switch from Glock to 1911 at the end of the last year, be prepared you're likely going to overpull the trigger a lot in the first month/ two and throw shots low. Plan on a lot of dryfire and slowfire practice shooting groups until you "get" the trigger. You'll need to drill in your new "index" with a different grip angle (point with your pointer when bringing the gun up, not with your thumb like on a Glock).

The skill set is largely the same, it's just practicing adapting it to the new platform. i wish there were shortcuts I could offer, but I didn't find any. Took me about 2 months of dedicated practice/living the platform until i was up to speed.

I asked similar questions adopting the platform, and to summarize it "Get used to it".

Edited by ArrDave

I honestly couldn't find 1911 specific videos. Ron Avery has a lot of videos on line and he's a beast with a 1911, obviously Rob Leatham, Larry Vickers, Nils Jonasson, etc. I would just look at the results from the most recent single stack nationals and start Youtubing down the list to see videos. For me it helped shooting with guys who had been on the platform a long time. Slide lock reloads still aren't as fast for me on single stacks as they were with Glocks due to the releasing the slide mechanism. If you don't run an extended slide stop, you'll be dropping the slide with the thumb of your support hand at slide lock.

On the positive side, the grip of a 1911 I feel like I can get a better grip on and the sights track more consistently on a 1911 than with a Glock, it's a lot harder to throw shots because of bad trigger press (although still very possible!), and I find there to be a joy running a 1911 that wasn't there with a Glock. Feels like running an heirloom timepiece. That said I fell in sand tossing a football with a buddy and didn't feel great about my 1911's chances of emptying the mag after inspecting it. I probably will go back to carrying my Glocks.

Edited by ArrDave