Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Critique my section match

Fordfan485

So this was my first level II match and 3rd uspsa match. What killed my score was all the Slow reloads and tons of mikes. Didn't call most of the mikes. During the match I felt like most of my reloads were good. The video tells another story as it seems that I miss the magwell most of the time. I started the match on stage 4, this was my best stage. Ironically during make ready my fiber optic fell out of the front sight. Stage 6 I gave up on the last plate but I would have been better off score wise trying to hit it for another 6-8 seconds. Stage 1 I thoght was great until I messed up my plan. I had wanted to reload before the last position but I remembrwr seeing that close target and wanted to get on it right away. This forced a standing reload and to top it off completely forgot about the last popper. Overall I thought it was a way more challenging match compared to what I'm used to(12-16 round idpa stages indoors)

"Tons of mikes" is really bad .... It means you need to work on the fundamentals .... Grip, sight management and most importantly trigger control. Until you get your accuracy issues revolved not much else matters IMO ...

Yea I struggle with the farther distance shots for sure. I think one thing that contributes to this is most of the match I was just aiming at cardboard and not focusing on the A zone. Also when I shoot on the move the results are not good(mostly C's and D's with a few mikes peppered in there, that's why stage 9 I did horrible. I shot 2 club matches last weekend and tried to focus on the A zone and did much better.

what distances were your mikes at? also, unless you can guarentee first knock down on steel or 2 As, shooting on the move is usually a bad idea. there are far fewer times where shooting on the move is a good idea then most shooters realize, particularily if you are only a B/C class shooter ....

I think I can guess where many of the mikes where. On the first stage in the vid you shot at a nice cadence and had (from memory) no mikes and 2 c's on the stage. that stage was you shooting at your ability for right now.

The very next stage you were double tapping targets at a decent distance and shooting much faster overall than the prior stage and sure enough had mikes.

I'm not sure if it's an issue in USPSA rules or local range rules but on your reloads muzzle is going way up (as in over the berm). In some areas that can be a problem. others it's fine. just be aware if you make that your default reload style to check if there are any local safety rules when shooting away from home.

I think you do have the accuracy to hit the long stuff IF you have the patience to give each target the time it needs. many times you shot longer targets as fast or faster than the close ones. a couple of times you burried 3 shots into middle distance targets and I'd almost bet all 3 were sub par hits. 2 aimed shots is faster and better than 3 'I hope these hit the target' shots. :)

overall it was an excellent job for your first match. :)

there is no 'muzzle over the berm during reloads' rule in USPSA so as long as it was a sanctioned match you're ok .... if it was an outlaw match then yes, you'll need to be concerned about the local range rules ...

I reckon your shooting on the move caused a lot of mikes, also for far distance targets you seem to make no difference in aiming wrt close distance targets. Perhaps also some thoughts on stage planning might help, looks pretty chaotic.

• 1 month later...

I think you showed that you are capable of producing an acceptable level of accuracy (minus weak hand only). i.e. you could have hit all the targets if you weren't rushing.

The biggest issue is that you didn't know you had missed. That means you aren't calling every shot. I doubt you had a sight picture at all for some of them (mostly 2nd shots on target). Your'e rushing. I recommend starting to follow Steve Andersons pod casts. Learn about what he calls "match guy" and lots of good information on how to be your best on match day. The Van Halen music is a bonus.

You seem very tense when you are shooting. It comes out in your reloads, but I am going to say that it has the biggest impact on your trigger control. On the small steel plates the impulse to keep pulling the trigger has to be subdued since they are at distance and proper sight alignment/trigger "control" needs to be used. I think Chuckie45 hit the nail on the head about calling your shots and watching your sights. There were a few times i could tell the mike had happened without looking at the sight picture. I do like your target transition speed. Also, did you have a bunch of stuff in your cargo pockets on that first stage? When i was watching you run up the middle to clear the far targets, it seemed like your gait was slower than on the other stages. Biggest thing is trigger control. You can transition at a good speed, but you need to get a good sight picture before you send those rounds off.