Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading 38 Short Colt on a 650

scout308

Ive done a search and just want some clarification on how to setup my Dillon 650 for loading Short Colt. I currently have the following dies

• Lee 38/357
  • RCBS 38 spec
  • Dillon 9mm
  • RCBS 9mm
  • Dillon 38 super

Can someone walk me through which die to use for each station please?

Thanks in advance

Liam

This is certainly not the only way but here is how I have my 650 setup to load 38 Short Colt:

All my parts/dies are Dillon. Large shell plate on the case feeder (only one I have at the moment). 40S&W bushing on the case feeder escapement. 38/357 shell plate. 38/357 sizing die, making sure the end of die body is filed down flush to the carbide insert and that the die is adjusted so that it sets all the way down onto the shell plate. All the rest of the dies are 9mm (powder funnel, seat and crimp). I am using coated lead bullets so my crimp is very light. I don't even think I get to the crimp portion of the 9mm crimp die, using the tapered nature of the 9mm round to remove the flare is about all.

I use a Hornady LnL but somewhat similar die wise. I use Lee 38 Short Colt Sizing and Crimp dies. You can use a 38/357 Sizing Die, but the crimp die may not screw in far enough to reach the case mouth. You can use a 9mm crimp die but don't interchange with one you use for 9mm without adjusting as you want less crimp than you'd use on a 9. I use a 9mm seating die and a 9mm powder through expander which expands enough for seating coated .357 sized bullets.