Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MOA targets

I ordered from one of our forum members, nvgeologist. He makes ar400 and ar500 steel. The process were good, and he had a lot of good information on his site. I picked up the pieces of steel, and two steel hangers. He offers 1/4" ar400 in various shapes and sizes, and all items will come with your choice of mounting options. Ditto on the 3/8"ar500 rifle plates. The three main shape options are circle, rectangle, and ipsc targets. Sizes below 12" x 18" can be shipped flat rate, which saves on the shipping.

The order took about a month to arrive, and the postman did every thing he could to show his unhappiness, but all the pieces were still there, and no damage...

post-53295-143096232412_thumb.jpg

There was surface rust on the plates, and I scraped it off with a wire brush before painting the plates.

The mounting tab option is kind of neat. The mounting bracket slips over a 2x4, and the tab on the steel plate slips into the slot in the mounting bracket. The steel will fall if you push back on it. I could see someone getting smacked by a falling plate during setup if they aren't careful. The owner recommends screwing a lah bolt into the 2x4 post if you don't want the steel to fall when shot.

I still need to bring these out to the range to test them out. I will update this thread when i do.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just realized I never updated this thread. I don't have pictures, but the steel fared well on three different range trips. One was a trip to the farm, and a dozen people wailed on it for a whole afternoon. I don't bring it with as much as I expected because it is so heavy and the wood stands take up so much room. The posts also get filthy with shrapnel. The one post was trash after the farm afternoon, but there were a lot of rounds at it. The hangers angle the lead down, and a lot of it hits the post. I'm not worried about half a 2x4, but I don't like putting them in my car afterwards near where my toddler sits. If I still had my truck or if I could leave them at the range it wouldn't be an issue. I do like the system though, so I might pick up some 3x6 plates to armor up the 2x4.

Plates themselves stood up fine. This is less than 1k rounds on each, so no marks other than the paint.

I just read it, and it sounds more negative than I meant. I love the plates themselves. They just work. No worries buying from nvg again. I do want to pick up more, my only questions are which sizes I want, and whether to go with the bolt holes instead of the hangers.