Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex dots on an open Glock

librarian45

hi everyone, I've done some digging and I'm coming up short.

I've decided to build an open glock in .40 (because 9mm major just isn't in my near future.)

I'm doing this on the cheap-ish to see if I enjoy open.

I carry a glock 19 with a milled in RMR but I'd like a non-recipirocating red-dot on the race gun.

Through work I have the opportunity to acquire Vortex brand optics for fairly reduced prices.

The "Razor HD" is on my short-list but it appears to have a weird screw pattern (not Burris, docter, rmr, etc) so I don't know that a mount from any of the big manufactures will work. I'd like the SJC micro mount, but again, weird screw pattern.

-Has anyone see this done successfully ( I know Jerry M uses one on a CORE) ?

-If so can you point me toward the

I was also thinking about going with their "SPARC," which is basically a Aimpoint Micro/trs-25 knock off.

-Is the Micro tube useable in competition?

-do you think the buttons hanging off the side will me too in-the-way?

-I recall using 30mm aimpoints back in the day, but was that just because there was nothing better?

thanks for helping a noob

Looking on the vortex sight, it does look similar to the aimpoint 30mm. I have read that a tube dot is easier to see/follow for new open shooters. If you wanted to go with a micro mount I would email bobby carver of carver custom guns. He offers several micro mounts, he may be willing to sell you one without holes drilled? It may take a bit for him to do a new run but I don't see why someone wouldn't sell one without holes once they do a new run.

G22 is my vote. I'm working on building one now, but I want the dot on the slide for various reasons. It'll just be for fun. I'm not ever going to be a contender to win an Area or Nationals match. I think the G35 is too long once you add a comp.

22. Up to u but 22 is my vote. 40 open isn't big but you can have a nice set up that way. If you ever do want to go 9 maj it's just a barrel swap away. Plus you can shoot limited maj w 40 box ammo while you collect parts for open. I planned something very similar with a 22c. I traded the set up but I got a 17 recently to play with some. I enjoy the glock set up. That's just my opinion.