Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anybody used s&b 180's?

MstngLX50

I'm looking for cheap ammo until I can get set up to reload. I can get a pretty good deal on Sellier and Bellot 180gr FMJ's right now and was wondering if anybody had used it. I'm looking for something I can shoot temporarily, but I want to be able to reload it. All of the brass I have now is from my G23 and will be used on a trial/practice basis. I'm assuming since it's not a Nato round there's little chance of it being crimped.

Anybody reloaded this brass?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Others will disagree, but its some of the best brass there is. Yes, the primer pockets seem "tight" to US reloaders; the Europeans seem to manufacture their brass by drilling the flash hole & milling the pocket instead of swaging it in place like we do in the USA. Both methods work but the Europen brass seems to keep a tighter pocket longer - a plus in my book as a loos e pocket is a sign of worn out brass to me. It is plenty strong & the different rim profile has never presented a problem in my 1911s or other .40s I own.

As for loaded ammo, it is the factory test ammo for CZ; my 2 CZ Limited guns retail for well over $1000 and CZ could use any test ammo they want for these but they choose S&B and the accuracy shows on both test targets. Not sure about the power factor (probably higher than optimal) but the ammo is good quality.

As far as NATO, the standard side arm round is the 9x19mm. I am not aware of any NATO standardization for .40 S&W.

• 2 weeks later...

ammo is typical of factory loaded 180 grain FMJs, recoil is about what any 180 PF load is going to be.

go to natchez's website and look at independence ammo..its a little softer shooting, brass is easier to reload and its 6.95 a bx.