Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm or .40???

dbritt066

I think ddg81sniper hit the nail on the head.  My personal opinion, if you want something to do a lot of plinking with, the 9mm will be a more economical way to go.  If you are looking for personal protection, don't consider the 9mm.  There aren't many law enforcement agencies out there that haven't gone to the .40 or .45 to carry, and personally I have no use for the 9mm in that arena.  I have heard that brass from a Glock .40 may be difficult to seat a bullet if you are reloading your brass.  If anyone else can comment on this, please do.

When reloading ANY glock brass there are special considerations.   Used glock brass can be safe and functional.  There are many threads here about the special concerns with this type brass.  I'm sure a search for ' glock brass'  would turn up loads of great information.

Cool user name Cowboy,  welcome to the fold.

"If you are looking for personal protection, don't consider the 9mm.  There aren't many law enforcement agencies out there that haven't gone to the .40 or .45 to carry, and personally I have no use for the 9mm in that arena."

Actually, that's not  true. There are still many, many law enforcement agencies issuing the 9mm. I figured out early on that, theoretical differences in stopping power aside, all any of these cartdiges do is make holes. Personally the 9mm Parabellum and .45 ACP are far and away my two favorite handgun calibers. I've never really understood the concept that if you like one of these cartridges, you must automatically (pun intended) despise the other. Today I use a 1911 .45 as my daily carry gun, because I shoot IDPA and USPSA, there is a great advantage in the latter to shooting a cartridge that makes Major, and in both to having a single action trigger. I can't see putting in all that practice/match time, then carrying something else. If that wasn't the case, there's no doubt in my mind I'd be carrying a SIG 9mm, a P226 or P228.

Buy what you will shoot!

If you have plenty of cash you intend to spend on shooting, shooting classes, shooting matches, accessories, ammunition, etc. etc., AND if you shoot both weapons and can hit as well with the .40 as with the 9mm, then go ahead an be a macho guy and get the .40.

If, on the other hand, you have only some cash to spend on shooting, shooting classes, matches, ammunition, etc., or if you shoot both weapons, and the 9mm just feels easier to shoot accurately and controllably, then get the 9mm.

For self defense, a hit with a 9mm is better than a miss with a .40, and 2 hits with a 9mm are probably better than just 1 with a .40.  

You will eventually get to the point where it really won't make a difference, because you've trained a lot, but by that time, you will own several guns.  

SO GO AHEAD AND GET THE 9MM!

Off the topic a bit:

an XD is functionally identical to a Glock...all the safeties are deactivated by grabbing the pistol and pulling the trigger.  I can't think of an un-contrived scenario in which the grip safety on the XD would prevent a discharge that would occur with the Glock under the same circumstance.  THE BEST AND MOST IMPORTANT SAFETY ON ANY GUN IS THE ONE BETWEEN YOUR EARS!

Semper fi,

DogmaDog