Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cast Bullets- RN vs SWC

Buckrun

I have always shot the SWC cast bullets. I have a Ideal 4 cavity 452-460. I want get another 4 cavity Lyman 542-460 to speed up the production. While looking at Midway I could get 3 Lee 6 cavity moulds with handles for the same price as 1-4 cavity Lyman with handles. I am not a fan of aluminum mould blocks but the cost and production rate would be so much greater I am tempted to give them a try. If so I have been thinking about going with a 200 gr. round nose instead of the SWC. The only reason is the round nose would be just a little more reliable in feeding. Not that I have had any problems with the SWC. Just thinking it may be one less thing to worry about.

Steve

One less thing to worry about is exactly why I'm using a pair of Lee 6 cavity RN moulds to cast .45s with.

Mine are the 452-228-1R moulds and I've cast over 20K so far with them. They drop at 220 grains.

I absolutely hate the Lee single and double cavity turds they call moulds, but the 6 cavity moulds are one of those actual Lee deals. I've got several in various calibers and they've always worked perfectly.

One warning: If you cast with a pair of 6 cavity moulds, make sure you have a large supply of moulten lead. I've got a 20 lb bottom pour pot and supplement this with a hot plate that premelts 15 more lbs. After a couple or 3 hours of casting I'll outrun both these.

I'd try 3 moulds at a time, but I'd need a 50 lb pot.

My new .40 401-175-TC mould has been another good one. Drops a hard bullet at 178 grains.

However I checked the Lee site and don't see a 200 RN .45 mould.

If you like a 200 SWC, Lee's version of the #68 mould (got one of those too) is also a good one, but these style bullets just suck up too much lube. I much prefer the shallower lube grooves on the 228 RN mould.

It could be used in the .45 acp couldn't it? Or is there a better one? I really wanted to stay at 200gr. so it would shoot (for the most part) like the lyman 200 gr SWC. But at the distances we are shooting I really don't think the 20 or so grains will make a difference. What do you think?

Steve

It should work. I just tend to avoid bullets with the crimp grooves, but as long as you don't roll crimp them, it doesn't matter.

There's a definite difference in "feel" between the 200 and 220 grain bullets. Depends on if you like the snappy feel of the 200 versus more of a soft "push" of the 220. I've switched back and forth between the two and could live with either, but finally settled on the 220 bullet. I can't tell the difference if I switch to an actual 230 grain bullet.

You might want to try buying the double cavity version of the mould just to check it out. They're dirt cheap and fairly crappy, but you could cast some bullets to try them out.

That, or just get a pair of the SWC moulds.