Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hodgdon Varget VS Allied AR-Comp...

chopps

By the naked eye it looks the same ( other than a little shorter ) and have had a few tell me its the exact same powder but, wanted to ask here and see what experiance if any some of you have had with it.

TIA

Edited by chopps

Alliant AR-Comp powder is not the same as Hodgdon Varget, they aren't even made in the same country let alone the same manufacturer.

They are both extruded stick powders that work very well for .223/5.56 but can be a little difficult to meter.

Alliant AR-Comp powder is not the same as Hodgdon Varget, they aren't even made in the same country let alone the same manufacturer.

They are both extruded stick powders that work very well for .223/5.56 but can be a little difficult to meter.

I kinda figured that and thats why i asked here. Plus the load data on allient vs hodgdons was not the same so i knew something did not add up.

Thanks

FYI... It's Alliant AR-COMP ;)

I shoot a lot of NRA/CMP highpower and have completely switched from Varget to AR-COMP. In my experience, I am obtaining velocities using 1-2 less grains of AR-COMP than I do with Varget. It is a bit dirty, but I can live with that.

200/300 yard load

Sierra 77gr MK

22.4gr AR-COMP

CCI450 primer

LC brass

2.25" OAL

600 yard load

Berger 82gr MT

23.3gr AR-COMP

CCI450 primer

LC brass

2.50" OAL

The 23.3gr load is a bit on the warm side and I need to run a carrier weight with that. It shoots *very* well though.

I have read on other forums that some folks have reported about cycling issues or the bolt failing to lock back in the AR15. I witnessed this shooting with a buddy last month while he was working up some loads for his service rifle. Turned out that the primer made the difference, with my loads running a SRM primer instead of him using a SR primer. Fair warning...

Edited by nbkky71