Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TV Extended Warranty Saved Me

I realize extended warraties are a scam or they wouldn't sell them. But I bought a new Sony KDL series flatscreen TV a year ago Christmas and decided to get the extended warranty. The TV cost $1200 (on sale from $1500) so I figured I would get the warranty. I got 16 years of service out of the Sony Trinitron I bought in 1996, so I wasn't expecting trouble with the new KDL.

About one week after it's first birthday, the KDL blows up. The video image is garbled and distorted. It blew about one week after the Sony one year warranty expired which means I would have gotten zero from Sony. They sent a tech who said the panel was bad and it would cost about $900 plus labor to fix, so it was not getting fixed (it would be replaced).

Dodged a bullet on that one.

Of course, the process wasn't all that smooth. It took a total of about 3 weeks. They first tried to stick me with a cheapo LG replacement that doesn't have the same features. Then I got the "no call back" stall for a while but eventually we came to an understanding.... and they replaced my Sony with another KDL Sony and I am a happy camper.

BTW: the KDLs are being closed out right now and you can get some huge discounts on them (even from Sony). The TV's that sold for $1500 a year ago are going for about $900 now.

Edited by bountyhunter

Years ago I bought a big Sony WEGA flat screen that suddenly quit on me after a few months. The warranty tech came over and took it apart and said that the main board was fried in the front of the TV and that it had gotten wet (the housing was still full of liquid). He was nice enough to replace it under warranty after we discovered that my then two year old daughter had soaked the screen with half a bottle of Windex trying to be "helpful" and clean the TV just like Grandma did. My then mother-in-law got an earful about spraying the screen of my very expensive TV directly with Windex.

That's hilarious. My dad had a houseful of cats, and he had an old TV with tubes and so the top was a wire mesh screen where the heat came up. So, the cats always slept on the top of the TV because it was warm. One day the oldest cat horks up a giant hairball and barfs down into the TV which shorts out the high voltage cage. I hauled the TV into the repair shop and the poor guy said it was the grossest mess he had ever seen. I don't think TV techs are trained to remove pre digested tuna fish from a TV.....

Edited by bountyhunter