Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

full magazines harder to load than empty

Captiontom

It is a combination of the ejector and the spine on the underside of the slide. Last night I took my slide off while cleaning and loaded a magazine in just the frame to see if that was the issue and encounter resistance because of the ejector. I just tried it with the slide back on and closed and it is a little more difficult because of that spine. I'm not going to drive out of state, buy a new set of magazines and block ten to 10.5 rounds so I will just have to live with it

The top round should not be hitting the ejector, there might be your problem. With the slide back even my tightest mag (when loaded to 20 when I shot Limited) would go right in with no resistance at all.

While I have never heard of someone who couldn't use a Glock stock magazine loaded to capacity, there are common problems once you put extended basepads on them. Some lucky people seem to be immune but others aren't, which is why the makers usually talk of the extended capacity in terms of +4/5.

With my G35, I can only load 20 in my starter mag. All the rest have to be at 19. I've never had a clear explanation of this and I've talked with Dawson, Taylor, and Arredondo about it. It seems to be a combination of the gun, mags, springs, follower, and basepad. But it's a really common issue.

I just picked up a set of Taran's basepads and for the first time I have enough give with that 20th round in there that it seats easily and the slide doesn't bind. I haven't shot a match with them yet so I'll reserve judgement.

Edited by Graham Smith

I'm not going to drive out of state, buy a new set of magazines and block ten to 10.5 rounds so I will just have to live with it

I didn't expect you to drive out of state just for this purpose. But the next time you are in Reno or Vegas, for example.