Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gentlemen of the jury: A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies, and when the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death.

Sent from my iPad

I thought this cool ,,heard this speech on old western show .

George Graham Vest (December 6, 1830 August 9, 1904) author

Edited by EEH

I just saw this very TV episode on "Death Valley Days" yesterday! Ronald Reagan played the attorney who gave this quoted speech at the end of the trial scene. It's a bit of a tear-jerker of a speech, but very poetically written, as was often the style in those days.

Edited by SiG Lady

I've ALWAYS been a fan of westerns--and guns--and cable TV offers the Encore Westerns channel. Yay!

I even began reading Louis L'Lamour westerns last year, thanks to a substantial supply of them in our Jail library, AND the recommendation of several inmates and a couple of deputies.