Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Raleigh's Log

Raleigh

This is an interesting idea and makes perfect sense to be able to track practice sessions and match results, so why not give it a try.

My backstory, I am completely green in terms of competitive shooting and was introduced to shooting steel targets by a friend only 2 months ago and then Steel Challenge Matches last month. I have only shot in one match at this point, had a great time, I was amazed at the difference in my mental state when going from static shooting to shooting in a timed match, I did not expect that. Another thing is I have never really concentrated on shooting fast, I am fairly accurate but have always just shot for fun so the speed shooting is foreign to me. Currently I am shooting my EDC gun, a 4.25" Ruger 1911 .45. I will be starting reloading soon, hoping that some custom loads will be a bit more manageable than the factory loads I am currently shooting.

My first steel match was on 12/14/14, total time was 213.16. I was not totally disappointed with this, I shot pretty well, I had one magazine that I failed to seat and I had a great recovery from that.

On 1/3/15 I attended a class aimed at newer competitive shooters, it was very informative and I took away several things to improve on, foremost being grip and trigger control. I have been doing a lot of dry fire practice and got a new grip strengthener.

Went to the range for some practice today. Had a good session and was able to put my dryfire practice feedback to the test. Still need to focus on making my new grip a muscle memory, right now I have to make a conscious effort to maintain the grip which means I shoot slower. There is a match tomorrow night (depending on weather), looking forward to it.

Any and all advice some seasoned shooters can provide is appreciated, thanks!

Edited by Raleigh